Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » What is the difference between East Palistine, Ohio and the place called Palistine in the mid-east?

What is the difference between East Palistine, Ohio and the place called Palistine in the mid-east?

East Palestine, Ohio actually exists.

Posted - February 23, 2023

Responses

I've visited neither but I would hazard a guess that the East Palestine, only four or five thousand miles West of Palestine the country, is at least peaceful.

Oh, and the River Jordan is in England.

I kid thee not: a stream all of two miles long if that, near the Southern English town of Weymouth.

Bethlehem? South Wales: a hamlet near Llandovery.
      March 1, 2023 3:06 PM MST

Town of Bethlehem

Bethlehem, GA
    "The little town under the star"

March 2, 2023 2:35 PM MST

What I found:

Scholars believe the name “Palestine” originally comes from the word “Philistia,” which refers to the Philistines who occupied part of the region in the 12th century BCE. The term "Palestine" first appeared in the 5th century BCE when the ancient Greek historian Herodotus wrote of a "district of Syria, called Palaistinê". The history of the current State of Palestine over the last 100 years is long and complicated and still remains uneasy.

East Palestine, Ohio was founded in 1828 and incorporated as a city in 1875. 
      March 1, 2023 4:18 PM MST

Israel isn't building enclaves in Ohio.
      March 1, 2023 6:53 PM MST

I had no idea until hearing an essay on it during last week's edition of the BBC Radio Four programme From Our Own Correspondent, why the town of East Palestine is the unfortunate focus of attention in the USA.

The journalist was commentating on the aftermath of the tanker-train derailment there.
      March 5, 2023 3:47 PM MST