Active Now

my2cents
Danilo_G
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » When weather is not a factor, do you prefer parking in a parking garage or in a surface lot?

When weather is not a factor, do you prefer parking in a parking garage or in a surface lot?

My friend commented that she didn't understand why anyone would park in the surface lot when there was an option to park in a ramp. I was surprised because I feel the opposite way. My question assumes cost and convenience are the same.

Posted - February 26, 2023

Responses

What do you mean "in a ramp"? 

February 26, 2023 11:49 AM MST

I looked it up...we call them parking garages.  I personally do not care and will take the one that is free and closer. 
      February 26, 2023 1:22 PM MST

Ditto!  This post was edited by NYAD at February 27, 2023 7:25 AM MST
      February 26, 2023 3:36 PM MST

Until now, when I  looked it up, I had no idea that parking ramp is a Minnesota term. I edited my question to reflect the more widely used term
      February 26, 2023 4:25 PM MST

In this town you either parallel park on a side street somewhere, or play a waiting game for one of the 25 spaces in one of the two city lots.  You can probably guess which one most people do.  Personally I just park in the Safeway lot and walk to town from there.
      February 26, 2023 1:01 PM MST

That's interesting, but the question was about choosing between two options. If you ever leave your town, you might get a chance to choose.
      February 26, 2023 4:00 PM MST

There are no parking garages here (illegal).  However, some elderly people like to park "inside" local establishments - despite there being a 20' wall in the way ("I thought 'D' stood for 'reverse'"; or "While I was shopping someone broke into my car and switched the brake and accelerator pedals"). 
      February 26, 2023 4:54 PM MST

If you're in the city, there are few surface parking lots. In the city, you have to pay to park. There are few spaces for parking on the street and those have meters. Most businesses outside the city have their own attached free surface parking lots.

When I worked for the county, they moved us from a building that had it's own parking lot to a center city building. The county paid for our bus passes, they were not going to pay for everyone's daily parking.
      February 26, 2023 3:45 PM MST

This question is about preference, not availability or cost. In the suburb where I live most larger shopping and dining venues have both and both are free.
      February 26, 2023 3:58 PM MST

If we have to go into the city, you have no choice. Outside the city there is rarely a parking garage (the only ones I can think of are at the two main hospitals). In other words, preference is not an option.

The only parking ticket I ever received was for parking too long at a parking meter for an appointment with my lawyer. My only other choice to park would have been a parking garage. Neither was a preference.

I live in a "tri-city" area surrounded by suburbs. Parking in the other two cities is pretty much the same. I don't know if other surrounding cities allow for preferences.
      February 26, 2023 5:10 PM MST

A parking garage. 
      February 26, 2023 6:41 PM MST

Surface lot or street. The only parking garages around here are downtown, and I rarely go there.
      February 27, 2023 7:12 AM MST

Here's another one............parking garages in my areas of residence have all been called parking decks.

Anyway, I prefer to park on the street where no one can ding my car with their door.  When I must park in a lot I park at the back, generally in two spaces, and walk the absolute maximum possible to wherever I'm going.  My parking spaces at home are pull-in spaces (which, of course, I back into) located on a curve.  That makes them super large which is great for me. 
      February 27, 2023 11:13 AM MST

Probably a parking garage, because I can easily make a note of the level and section, which makes it easier to find my car when I return. 
      March 7, 2023 9:16 PM MST