Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » I suppose there are many types of depression.What are its physical manifestations?

I suppose there are many types of depression.What are its physical manifestations?

I think I'm depressed but I don't know for sure. I have never felt this way before. I feel as if someone grabbed me by the throat, punched me in the stomach and knocked me to my knees. I'm not in pain but I'm not comfy either. I've been down in the dumps before and I know what that feels like. I always  bounce back from it, usually very quickly. This thing though that envelopes me? I am unfamiliar with it. Have you experienced it too? Maybe it's simply due to shock that will wear off. How long does shock affect a body?

Posted - November 9, 2016

Responses

I was diagnosed with bi-polar years ago but I am taking meds for it. It seems to work but I have my down days. Very few up days though. I have learned to live with it.
      November 9, 2016 10:30 AM MST

Condolences my friend. Life is tough enough without the added burden of depression.  I guess bi-polar means you have very high highs and very low lows. That would be really hard to deal with. I'm glad you have meds that mostly work for you. You must feell like a yo-yo at times with something else controlling you. I don't want to learn to live with how I feel ele. I'm miserable. I'm pretty sure I will eventually snap out of it but I dunno. This is brand new for me. I will just have to see it through I guess and find out what I'm made of. Right now I have no clue. Thank you for your reply! :(
      November 10, 2016 3:15 AM MST

That's the sting of defeat.  How 'bout that "prez wannabe"?!?
      November 9, 2016 2:02 PM MST

• Dear Rosie,
    Based on the predominant theme of your questions over the last few months,
    it seems to me that you have been very anxious that Trump might be elected.
    Now, contrary to our hopes and expectations, he has been.

It is very natural that you might feel a strong reaction of disappointment, despair, and feeling trapped in an outcome so against your wishes.
    The feeling of being trapped in something from which there is no escape can be a cause of depression.

But since you are a person not normally prone to depression, I believe you will soon bounce back to normal.
    Please feel free to message me and chat about anything you wish.

Six or more of these symptoms qualifies as depressed.
    Physical:
    Fatigue and decreased energy
    Changes in normal sleep patterns, insomnia, early-morning wakefulness, or excessive sleeping
    Overeating or appetite loss - may be accompanied by weight loss or gain.
    Persistent aches or pains, headaches, cramps  or digestive problems that do not ease even with treatment

Emotional / mental:
    Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, and/or helplessness
    Persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" feelings
    Apathy -- Loss of interest in activities or hobbies.
    Anhedonia or inability to feel pleasure
    Irritability, restlessness
    Difficulty concentrating, remembering details, and making decisions
    Thoughts of suicide and/or suicide attempts (this last, I am sure, would not be you.) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 10, 2016 3:35 AM MST
      November 9, 2016 2:08 PM MST

((hugs)) Thank you for a very helpful and informative reply hartfire. I appreciate it. Thank you for inviting me to message you. I appreciate that too.  What I feel now is hopeless and helpless and impotent. I do not do well when I feel that way.  Evil/hate won and now we just await the consequences/outcome of that. Trump said he will be prez for all Americans. Even those he ridiculed/attacked/demeaned/insulted/threatened? He lost the election if one goes by popular vote. He is a loser. Yet here we are and there he is. Not only that but the Senate Majority and House Majority are both Republican, which means with the White House Republican too we shall be in their control for at least two years. I believe when the mid-year elections occur in 2018 Republicans will be thrown out on their a**es and Dems will be in the majority in both the House and the Senate.  What will Trump have done in those two years? He is immediately going to undo all the good Obama has done. He will force 20 million people to be without health insurance. He will deport 11 million people. That is just for starters. Either he will do what he said he will and the country will bleed to death or he won't and his worshippers will turn on him with a vengeance. Either way I see no light ahead. But I will find a way out of this funk just because I have to do so. I cannot live like this feeling so miserable. I am heartened by the thousands upon thousands of people marching in protests all over the country. Thousands of them were by the Trump Tower where Trump lives protesting his election to prez. I hope the protests grow in size and continue full force every day he is in office. The people did not want him but because of our electoral college we are stuck with him for 4 years. How much damage will he do in two years? I feel enervated and empty and furious all at once. I shall never understand how any reasonable logical normal human being could ever support such a person as that. I am appalled at the number of folks who think he is just swell as he**! I am . They are  evil like him too. They must be or they could never in a million years have voted for him.  Asking questions is how I work things out.  As you have noted. I ask and ask and ask just so I won't cry. I don't expect any answers but I shall keep asking just to relieve the pressure. I guess Answermug like Answerbag before it is akin to a safe vent  for a pressure cooker. When the steam builds up enough the vent pops up and the steam is released . Or the pressure cooker will explode. Full steam ahead my friend, To where I have no idea . If Trump turns out to be a good president he will probably be assassinated by the haters who elected him to be a very bad prez. If he doesn't do their bidding I don't know how they will react. I don't trust any of them.
      November 10, 2016 3:33 AM MST