Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Do these meds work for you? FDA talking about banning them

Do these meds work for you? FDA talking about banning them

Posted - September 12, 2023

Responses

Those were high theft items when I worked grocery.  I heard people made drugs with some of these and got high off others.   Personally I don't/can't take any of these
      September 12, 2023 3:24 PM MDT

Sudafed is a starting chemical for production of meth. That's why it is no longer OTC.
      September 12, 2023 4:23 PM MDT

Yep.  I remember when I had to pull it off the shelf.  Federal law forbade us from selling it (pharmacy stores only).
      September 12, 2023 8:51 PM MDT

Actually the real stuff is available OTC but you have to got to the pharmacy and show your ID.  But yes it is used to make meth.
      September 13, 2023 5:38 AM MDT

My understanding is that the ingredient claimed to relieve congestion doesn't work in liquid or spray form.  Completely removing it is overboard.  Remove the ingredient that has no effect as well as packaging.  That's it.  Regulation should always be at the minimum to achieve the purpose of it. 
      September 12, 2023 3:28 PM MDT

Yes, it only works via IV.
    I agree....retool the formulas without the fake Sudafed.  
    My husband swears by Alka Seltzer Cold.  Personally I am a Nyquil, Benadryl user. 
      September 13, 2023 6:31 AM MDT

I don't use any of those. I will use the generic forms of them. Benadryl does work.
      September 12, 2023 4:24 PM MDT

If ban goes in, it will apply to the generics as well.  Benadryl does work. These bands will have to remove the "fake Sudafed" from their formula.  
      September 13, 2023 5:41 AM MDT

Sudafed is 'fake' ephedrin.
      September 13, 2023 7:37 AM MDT

Pseudoephredrine....is the good stuff you have to get from the pharmacy but still OTC. 
    (I don't think they sell ephedrine by itself in US but they do in Canada)
    Phenylephrine does not work. This post was edited by my2cents at September 14, 2023 7:00 AM MDT
      September 14, 2023 5:29 AM MDT

It's the Benadryl Plus Allergy (with the decongestant) that is mentioned.  Regular Benadryl isn't in the conversation.  It is just an antihistamine. 
      September 13, 2023 7:53 AM MDT

I used to take the Tylenol sinus medication. When they replaced the pseudoephredrine with another ingredient that is not used to make meth, it stopped working for me. I'm guessing that is what happened to all those medications. The FDA has an obligation to ensure that consumers are not spending money on OTC medications that don't work. I hadn't heard about this proposed change, so I'm glad you posted it so I know it isn't just me and so I could learn that the ingredient works in nasal spray form.

For those like me who hadn't heard about this, here's one of many articles I  found.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/fda-panel-says-common-counter-decongestant-phneylephrine-doesnt-work-rcna104424
      September 12, 2023 5:53 PM MDT

Right, the replacement is what they have decided after like 15-20 yrs does not work.  We all know that from using them.  But the other active ingredients do work.  These will likely have to retool their formulas....again. 
    FDA knew it when they allowed the stuff to be used that it does not work orally. (Pill or liquid form) It must be used via IV to work.

I do wonder why now? 
      September 13, 2023 5:46 AM MDT

In my case, I can still buy Tylenol, which is the other active ingredient without paying extra for a decongestant that doesn't work. But I've never found anything that works like the pseudoephredrine formula.

I get it that these meds got on the market through some FDA loophole, but I don't know why it took the FDA so long to fix the issue. 
      September 13, 2023 7:10 AM MDT

Benadryl works for me.  Here is something that will affect us all. 

This post was edited by . at September 14, 2023 5:37 AM MDT
      September 13, 2023 10:17 AM MDT

They have been doing this for awhile.  Medically and politics.
      September 14, 2023 5:40 AM MDT

It won't affect those of us who don't get advice from whack jobs who have declared themselves experts despite having no medical or scientific training in tthose fields. He isn't be censored, he just not being promoted to people like myself, who understand who he is and don't want to watch him. I will be glad to stop seeing him and his kind in my recommendations. 
      September 14, 2023 11:30 AM MDT

If they are changing their algorithm to ignore him even though he has more likes and more subscribers...then yes, he is being censored. 
      September 14, 2023 4:18 PM MDT

Dr. Berg claims that if you search for him, you can't find him, but that isn't true.  Put "Dr. Berg" in your search engine and all this and more comes up:

Sponsored
    Dr. Berg Offical Shop - Shop Dr. Berg® Official Site
    Dr. Berg®
    https://shop.drberg.com

DrBerg® Supplements. Created By Keto & Intermittent Fasting Expert Dr. Eric Berg. Our Nutritional Supplements Are Made With High-Quality Ingredients. Shop Today. 5 Million+ Keto community. Risk Free Products. Healthy Keto Plan Author. 25k+ Reviews on TrustSpot.
    Essential Daily Vitamins & Minerals Shop All Products
    Support Your Bones, Joints, Immune System, and Cardiovascular System.
    Zero Sugar And Maltodextrin Power Up Your Performance
    Designed To Support Healthy Digestion & Normal Bile Levels.

Search Results

Dr. Berg | Health and Fitness News, Courses, Recipes ...

Dr. Berg
    https://www.drberg.com

I am a health educator specializing in weight loss through nutritional and natural methods such as the keto diet plan and intermittent fasting, supported by low ...

September 14, 2023 1:13 PM MDT

I avoid those combination medications.  I will use guaifenesin with dextromethorphan for a bad cough on occasion.  I've taken phenylephrine alone in pill form (CVS brand) for nasal congestion and found it to be effective, though several years ago I switched to using essential oil based nasal inhalers. I think they work well without side effects. 
      September 17, 2023 8:18 PM MDT