Active Now

Shuhak
Malizz
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Shopping » I found out last night that an acquaintance* has never been to a swap meet or flea market. How about you, do you or does anyone you know

I found out last night that an acquaintance* has never been to a swap meet or flea market. How about you, do you or does anyone you know

personally fall into that same category?

*He is an immigrant to the USA who has spent at least 20 to 30 years in this country.
  ~

Posted - February 5

Responses

Most everyone I know has been to a flea market.  I suppose, depending on where he lives, flea markets and swap meets are not a common occurrence.  I am more surprised at people who have been here 20-30 years and still don't speak English.
      February 5, 2024 8:30 AM MST

I had students whose parents could not speak English.
      February 5, 2024 10:36 AM MST

I don't know how anyone could live somewhere for that length of time and not learn the language.  They are at such a disadvantage not being able to communicate.
      February 5, 2024 1:29 PM MST

There are numerous swap meets and flea markets in and around San Diego County. He’s aware of them, he’s just never stopped in. That really caught me by surprise.
      ~
      ~

February 5, 2024 12:22 PM MST

That is surprising, but there are folks who won't buy anything that has been pre-owned.
      February 5, 2024 1:28 PM MST

I do not think I know anyone like that.  

I love a good flea market. 
      February 5, 2024 8:46 AM MST

I have never been to a swap meet.  However, I have gone to a flea market.  Worse than going to a yard sale!
      February 5, 2024 9:14 AM MST

I fall into that category. 
      February 5, 2024 11:18 AM MST

In the past, I've been to several.  Now however I am at the age of getting rid of stuff instead of buying it.  There are many unusual, interesting items at a flea market.  Prices have risen over the years, the time for finding things at a ridiculously low price is no more, folks have become aware of their treasures value. 
      February 5, 2024 6:06 PM MST