Active Now

Shuhak
Zack
Discussion » Questions » Finance » Other than the green arrow points up and the red one points down, do you understand the stock market as reported on your local TV news?

Other than the green arrow points up and the red one points down, do you understand the stock market as reported on your local TV news?

This is specifically about what is quickly reported (often similar to a news item teaser) during the newscast in a seconds-long graphic that is flashed along with a soundbite/voiceover, or a banner crawling along the bottom of the television screen, or something along those lines. This is not about television programming that is precisely dedicated to business news or  financial news and gives in-depth coverage of those topics.
  ~

Posted - February 12

Responses

I don't watch local news...so I do not know how they talk about the stock market. 
      February 12, 2024 3:03 PM MST

Our local news only scrolls stock reports at the bottom of the screen. No red/green arrows. And I do understand the stock market...sort of.
      February 12, 2024 4:33 PM MST

I find it very confusing.  Do the red arrows represent cattle or broth?   
      February 12, 2024 4:59 PM MST

Wait, I thought one is for drywall and knitting needles while the other one is for antique daggers and dehydrated catnip?
      ~

February 12, 2024 7:53 PM MST

Many years ago I had 130 shares of PepsiCo stock I had to sell when times got tough.  Did have an interest in investing at one time. Due to  "tip" from a friend who made a good chunk of change on the NASDAC I purchased the stock after studying it for a month before investing.  Shortly after my purchase the stock tanked and I lost, that was it for me. Now I will never have the money to gamble on anything large or small, so I don't give it one iota of thought...ever. 
      February 12, 2024 5:01 PM MST

NASDAC NASDAQ
      February 12, 2024 11:01 PM MST

hahahaha...Oops! Thanks
      February 13, 2024 9:04 AM MST

I don’t watch local TV news. I follow my portfolio in real time on my iPhone’s Stocks app.

Can’t complain. I’m up 50% with my Nvidia shares in six weeks since I bought them on January 2nd.

But full disclosure: My mom worked on Wall Street for 58 years and I did for 10. That doesn’t change the reality that I‘ve been lucky with Nvidia.
    This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at February 13, 2024 9:27 AM MST
      February 12, 2024 11:08 PM MST

I knew when I posted the question that your expertise in tax-related areas would render an answer far removed from those of others. 

~

February 13, 2024 7:28 AM MST

Don't know the company or their history.  Are you going to sell any since it's up so high, is there a potential for the price to go higher, or will it tank?
      February 13, 2024 9:28 AM MST

It’s a dominant supplier of AI hardware and software, and its professional line of graphics processing units are used in workstations in many fields and in supercomputers.

Some analysts think it’s a bit overvalued now, but it’s considered one of the top stocks to own along with Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, Meta, and Alphabet (Google).

I own shares of Apple, Alphabet, Microsoft, and Nvidia, as well as Adobe, Bank of America, and Intuit. I am not an active trader or speculator. I believe it’s best to buy a few high quality stocks and index funds and hold them for the long term.

Much of my money is in ETFs - exchange-traded funds, one that tracks the S&P 500 and another, Vanguard’s Total Index Fund, which tracks something called the CRSP US Total Market Index. Both of these are low-cost and highly diversified funds to avoid the volatility of individual stocks.

February 13, 2024 8:48 PM MST

Smart!
      February 14, 2024 2:06 AM MST