Discussion » Questions » History » Has there ever been a time in American history where an election resulted in massive protests?

Has there ever been a time in American history where an election resulted in massive protests?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/09/politics/election-results-reaction-streets/index.html

Posted - November 10, 2016

Responses

• Not even close .. this is starting  to look like what I've seen on tv. Some 3rd world civil divide on elections.  
      November 10, 2016 4:00 PM MST

The chant is "Not my president." It almost feels like a civil war is brewing. 
      November 10, 2016 4:11 PM MST

Oh yeah, there have been far more controversial elections than this one. Recently, even.

I think everyone just needs to take a few breaths, calm the heck down and start persuading, rather than fighting. And I say this as someone with experience.

In 2012 when Romney robbed Paul supporters of a fair shot at the nomination only to lose the general as we all knew he would, I was livid like so many other Paul supporters. It wasn't dissimilar to how Sanders supporters are feeling right now, I'm sure. We were prepared to burn the house down, figuratively, damn them all.

Truth be told, I wish I'd taken time to think because our rage against that outcome caused us to further alienate ourselves from people we may have otherwise persuaded to see our pov, thus coming back stronger in the next fight. The result, we facilitated our own demise in the party by giving them a reason to pigeonhole us.

You can lose an election while winning hearts and minds, you know. Who wouldn't take hearts and minds over one election? When you start burning flags and throwing Molotovs no one will listen to what you have to say, you're persuading people, but not in the way you'd expect. Not you-you, generally speaking. 
      November 10, 2016 4:53 PM MST

Sure...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-GN1GM7T6I
      November 10, 2016 6:38 PM MST

It kind of reminds me when Obama won and people were saying things like "not my president!" and wanting to secede from the union, except this time it's the opposite side doing it.
      November 10, 2016 6:43 PM MST

Wow, an American who remembers something older than last week. Good for you, Patchouli!...;-D...
      November 10, 2016 6:50 PM MST

• Huh? What happened last week?
      November 10, 2016 7:03 PM MST

Ask Ranpolage (who commented above). He's convinced there's never ever been a post-election protest in American history. Clearly he's got a deep grasp of the subject...;-D...
      November 10, 2016 7:10 PM MST

• Sadly your video post seems like small taters compared to what is taking place now. No doubt social media has brought a different level of awareness. 
      November 10, 2016 9:34 PM MST

I don't remember protests being this extreme. But George W Bush was Po protested with people shouting.... “Racist, sexist, anti-gay, Bush and Cheney go away!” “Georgie go home, Georgie go home.” “You’re not our president.” 
    Hopefully people settle down soon. Before anyone else gets hurt.
      November 10, 2016 8:10 PM MST

I read that no one even bothered to attend Bush's successful 2nd win.

Everyone was very bothered about how he attained it.

That sucked, but this?  Nothing in my lifetime at least, has been this utterly horrible.  Not even Nixon and his evil.  Not even Bush and his evil.

This beats anything I have ever witnessed and it was not supposed to happen.   Every battleground state supported him at the end?  EVERYONE?  I am waking up every morning expecting this all to go away and this is not reality but rather  reality TV.  I cannot get used to this.   This actually happened to America in America. 

Nothing is safe ever again. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 10, 2016 11:10 PM MST
      November 10, 2016 11:08 PM MST

Sharon

it only happens in America
      November 11, 2016 1:42 AM MST

I think a more appropriate question would be:

"Has there ever been a time in American history where an election did not result in massive protests?".

November 11, 2016 1:07 AM MST

democracy is wonderful,ain't it ?
      November 11, 2016 1:43 AM MST

annoys me.

one man ,one vote

americans are spoilt
      November 11, 2016 1:39 AM MST