Active Now

Element 99
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » Do you remember . . .? (inspired by some questions from another mugger)

Do you remember . . .? (inspired by some questions from another mugger)

. . . when cars actually looked different from one another?       (and my own answer is part of my question)

American Dream Machines | Classic Cars Dealer | Muscle Car Dealer        Most Reliable Classic Cars | Progressive

Posted - June 5

Responses

As opposed to . . . 

Designing with Restraints (or) Why Most Cars Look the Same - Smith House
      June 5, 2024 6:31 PM MDT

Yes, I do. I remember when I didn't have to check the license plate to make sure I was getting into my own car. Cars also came in more colors. I could only choose from black, dark gray, white for my last new car.
      June 6, 2024 6:39 AM MDT

:)

I smiled all the way while reading.
    Thanks for answering.  ( My brother was SO, SO into cars -- growing up, he designed his own cars and identified cars all the time as our family traveled anywhere. I especially remember my getting all excited growing up when I saw an Edsel on the  road. Still get excited on rare occasions I see one. Had to include it as one of the three cars up there.)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 7, 2024 8:18 PM MDT
      June 6, 2024 10:29 AM MDT

I do.  I remember being able to ID the make of an oncoming car by the headlights at night. 
      June 6, 2024 1:03 PM MDT

Yes! That, too!

June 6, 2024 2:18 PM MDT

The good ole days for sure.  I like them all because they have personality, however the convertible must be driven along the beach for the full effect of enjoyment.  This post was edited by . at June 8, 2024 6:04 PM MDT
      June 7, 2024 5:52 PM MDT

I hadn't even noticed that one was a convertible, beleive it or not.
    I've just always been drawn to that car's design starting at  the doors, hood, and trunk and then down. ha.  :)
      June 8, 2024 6:07 PM MDT

Would love to be driving down HWY 1 where Sunset Blvd ends, in that car, with the wind mildly blowing.  Of course the traffic is a real downer but I could suffer through it. 
      June 9, 2024 2:07 PM MDT

Very cool!!  :)
      June 9, 2024 4:37 PM MDT

I miss the ocean so darn much, sounds like you like it as well.  There is a little cove on Catalina Island that is great for snorkeling.  Can't believe I went there alone so many times, sure would not do that today. I love Catalina, certain times of the year is so quiet and peaceful.  The water in the bay at times, can be so still like glass, your voice carries a long way.  One reason I always wondered why no one said they heard Natalie Wood call for help.  Standing on shore you can hear voices of the people moored in sailboats, not clearly but you can hear them.

This post was edited by . at June 9, 2024 5:29 PM MDT
      June 9, 2024 4:52 PM MDT

Not particularly. I've never lived by an ocean. But I just picture it all very well what you wrote.  :)
      June 9, 2024 4:57 PM MDT

The light dances off the water like little silver stars, the sound of the waves, the fog horn at night is comforting.  The multitude of birds, warmth of the sand and the smell of the sea are all delightful.  Used to love swimming in the ocean as well, not sure it would be safe for me now.  One big wave that could twist me around could end up a disaster for my back.  I do have the memories however.

At one time I was a strong swimmer, however I never go in the ocean without my swim fins.

This post was edited by . at June 10, 2024 4:45 AM MDT
      June 9, 2024 5:18 PM MDT

yes !

I watched a canadian show called 'rust valley restorers' , 

Basically its a lunatic with 500+ vintage cars in his collection, collecting dusts and rust, and he basically pick any car he wants and restore them all to original condition.

June 25, 2024 6:33 PM MDT

Hey, thanks for answering!

I've not heard of this show. I'm surprised that it might be a 'reality' show I'd actually watch.
    I just like looking at many of these cars.
      June 25, 2024 6:36 PM MDT

yes, all they do is real, and its one of my favorite show, very fun to watch
      June 25, 2024 6:39 PM MDT