Active Now

Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » “This car in front of me is too slow, let me get right on the bumper, that’ll get the driver to speed up! Grrrrrrr.”

“This car in front of me is too slow, let me get right on the bumper, that’ll get the driver to speed up! Grrrrrrr.”

This is what I surmise some tailgaters must be thinking sometimes when they bear down on me from behind (they’re always wrong, though, if they think they can control me to accelerate more).

My question is: what do you think goes through some tailgaters’ minds just before they start tailgating you?
  ~

Posted - October 13

Responses

If they were thinking clearly and rationally they wouldn't be tailgating.  If I have to stop short for some reason or other, they wind up in my trunk.  
      October 13, 2024 4:47 PM MDT

There are two types of tailgaters.

I have been in the passenger seat of cars driven by the first type of tailgaters. They seem to be quite oblivious to the idea that there is such a thing as a safe distance between cars. They simply drive right until a car is blocking their way and stay there, matching the speed of the car in front of them, as if this is the way we all are supposed to drive. They generally are not upset about what speed the car in front is traveling at. 

The second type of tailgater will pull around you at the first opportunity and give a one-fingered salute. They are thinking that you are going way too slow, no matter how fast you are going or what the road conditions are. They just want to get close enough to see ahead of you and seize the opportunity to get one car length closer to their destination.

Both types are usually decent people when they are not behind the wheel. Or at least I like to think so - it keeps me from slamming on my brakes to teach them a lesson.
      October 13, 2024 5:29 PM MDT

I never have a problem with tailgaters, they  just go around, no drama. 
      October 14, 2024 2:35 PM MDT

They're thinking, "I'm in a hurry; get the ---- out of my way!"  (and that's ALL they're thinking)
      October 14, 2024 3:22 PM MDT