Discussion » Questions » History » Weren't all slave owners racists? How could you own people and treat them like property otherwise?

Weren't all slave owners racists? How could you own people and treat them like property otherwise?

Posted - November 12, 2016

Responses

I don't think they saw themselves as "racist". The term is modern and skin colour was not so important at the time of enslavement. It became so only later as attitudes to the slaves lingered after abolition of slavery. The race was an identity useful to those callous enough to be determined to keep those attitudes alive.  

Rather, the slave-owners regarded the people they enslaved as backward in culture, religion and society, lacking NE European standards of education, so fit only for manual labour. Also the slave trade relied very heavily on African and Arabic help.  

Yes it was a nasty, cruel attitude born of a mixture of ignorance and feelings of cultural rather than biological superiority; and the campaigns against slavery fought the cruelty, not the racial aspects, seeing the slaves as people beyond their skin colour.

December 1, 2016 6:08 PM MST

Thank you for your thoughtful and helpful reply Durdle and Happy Friday! Sadly the attitude that people of color are "less than" still prevails among far too many and I guess will never die. Sadly some people REQUIRE scapegoats to hate so they can feel alive. Odd that. :(
      December 2, 2016 3:21 AM MST

I think you are right, Rosie, unfortunately. Human nature won't change, and feelings of superiority and need to find scapegoats won't go away.
      December 3, 2016 5:30 PM MST