Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Any tips on living up to the unrealistic expectations of others?

Any tips on living up to the unrealistic expectations of others?

Posted - November 15, 2016

Responses

The expectations of others might become realistic if you wanted that enough.

Obviously you want something different in life. Just create a plan, at least ten years in advance and be prepared to take a lot of detours, exits and pit stops along the way.

Plan your life, or someone else will plan it for you every time.

November 15, 2016 2:23 PM MST

You can't please everyone. So you got to please yourself.
      November 15, 2016 2:25 PM MST

All you have to do is live up to your own expectations.
      November 15, 2016 2:40 PM MST

• Demands, controlling, manipulation and coercion do not work. If someone is making emotion-backed demands, they will usually be met with compliance (grudging, resentful, likely to later backfire) or rebellion.

I suggest saying,
    "I regret that I have to disappoint you, but it is impossible for me to live up to your expectations."
    If they refuse to accept it, try the broken record endless repetition technique. It usually works.

Alternatively, have a deep conversation.
    Ask them to be specific about exactly what they expect and why. What are their needs?
    Then let them know your needs.
    With a bit of lateral thinking, it might be possible to find solutions that work equally well for both without compromise. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 15, 2016 7:12 PM MST
      November 15, 2016 3:22 PM MST

Don't try.  Aspire to live up to your own expectations for yourself.  I've a feeling yours are pretty high.  
      November 15, 2016 4:01 PM MST

Don't even try.
      November 15, 2016 5:43 PM MST

No one had any expectations of me, unrealistic or otherwise. I did not disappoint. 
      November 15, 2016 6:35 PM MST