Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Malizz
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Environment » Does the rainforest have any secrets?

Does the rainforest have any secrets?

I see a book with this title. I should read it. I didn't know the rainforest had any secrets. 

Posted - November 17, 2016

Responses

It is an intriguing title.  It could be intriguing or just a big letdown.

Let me know.  Save me some time here!!!!

http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/shows/secret-life-of-the-rainforest/0/141211 This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 17, 2016 3:22 PM MST
      November 17, 2016 3:21 PM MST

• Hmm can't comment on the book but yes I think rainforests have secrets..loads of them.. but they might not be thrilling, exciting, spiritual ...my feeling that the secrets might be more stuff like that there are probably still so many medicines and cures and different species not get discovered.. To me those are pretty cool secrets and more than reason enough to prevent the continual destruction of the rainforests
      November 17, 2016 3:28 PM MST

• answer is yes ..  but anything  you find in the book  , won't really be a secret   , will it?

November 17, 2016 3:53 PM MST

Even the Book of Shadows has readers. 
      November 17, 2016 3:57 PM MST

• "A" book of shadows . - mostly a personally written /compiled book / journal  of great info on healing herbs  , ointments  and how to  prepare  .. etc etc .. no real secret in content  , but most of the originals were written in code or theban text  ,,  to  keep the fact that the author is a witch   , a secret . 
      November 17, 2016 4:04 PM MST

• Lots. Species diversity is at its highest in the optimum conditions for life. That creates all kinds of competition and symbiosis. It means the biochemistry offers much for us to learn. New medicines, new substances, new techniques - an infinity of knowledge waiting to be explored, and every rainforest in every location different.
    Plus they are one of the chief oxygen producers for the planet - they could be a part of our Noah's ark against global warming, if only the powers that be would accept the truth of the science.
      November 17, 2016 6:23 PM MST

Scientists gassed some trees in Central America, thus killing everything. They found new species found only in one tree. Those species are now extinct. Yay science.
      November 18, 2016 9:03 AM MST

• Very, very sad.
    There's an awful irony in what we learn; the equal wonder and abuse of knowledge.
      November 18, 2016 12:26 PM MST

Knowledge kills. Did you see the movie "Medicine Man" with Sean Connery?
      November 19, 2016 1:43 PM MST

• That was a great movie. It's always puzzled me that there haven't been more on the same theme.

Totally agreed that knowledge can be fatal, as can ignorance.

This is where I find the myth of the Garden of Eden so interesting as a metaphor for social and moral evolution.
    If the story were true, how would it have affected humans if Eve and Adam had never tasted the taboo fruit? Presumably, they would still be wandering naked in the Garden, innocently doing whatever they pleased - utterly amoral - living like animals. Is it better to have no awareness of good or evil?

To me, it seems that would remove one of the most essential characteristics defining the difference between homosapiens and animals. Animals are free from evil, can only do what instinct and need compel: they can and do show altruism. But all that they do comes from innate drives, without rational consideration of long-term consequences.

From the evolutionist perspective, the weaker instincts of humans allows us to override impulses for the sake of a better outcome - the root of planning to enable hunting, spreading the seeds of food, building shelter, making clothing, surviving hostile seasons, predators and enemies.
    The reduced instincts which give us the survival benefit of flexibility and intelligence are the same characteristic that causes a toddler to be amoral:  equally capable of sharing food or bashing the nearest companion. As a species we have both intrinsic altruism and capacity for cooperation, and the capacity to cause immense harm through greed, anger and ignorance.

When knowledge kills it comes from the excess of greed or anger: our endless polluting of the earth for the sake of first world comforts and conveniences; our endless invention and building or ever more devastating ways to murder in war and "self-defense."

Yes, knowledge can be deadly. There was a time when if I had had access to the skin secretions of Phyllobates terribilis, I would have wanted to use it against my sister. I am now extremely glad that my dark fantasies were so grandiose that they were impossible to carry out. I am even more relieved that the situation that gave rise to that level of rage and frustration is now long passed.
      November 19, 2016 3:57 PM MST

We find and make many cures from plants. Imagine what we potentially could do with plants newly discovered? This post was edited by O-uknow at November 17, 2016 9:01 PM MST
      November 17, 2016 8:59 PM MST

Yes, but it depends on the rain forest. The ones in Washington State will be different from the ones in Hawaii, Africa and South America.
      November 18, 2016 9:01 AM MST