Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » What would be a good reason to not buy a house?

What would be a good reason to not buy a house?

Posted - November 18, 2016

Responses

You cannot find it.
      November 18, 2016 11:16 AM MST

• That works keep me from doing it.  :)
      November 18, 2016 11:18 AM MST

The gentle glow emanating from the lawn at night.
    ew
      November 18, 2016 11:40 AM MST

• Just name it Chernobyl Estates and raise the price. :) 
      November 19, 2016 6:14 AM MST

If you can't afford it , otherwise go for it , at least it's a asset and will grow in value which a rent is only paying some one else's mortgage.
      November 18, 2016 1:53 PM MST

I agree with Robert Kiyosaki's philosophy on this, the house you live in is not an asset, as there are monthly costs involved in just maintaining it, even if it is paid for. Also, we have learned over the last few years that real estate values can drop by 50% nearly overnight.

A house is obviously a necessity and can arguably be called an asset, just like an automobile used to commute back and forth to work but according to Kiyosaki's philosophy as outlined in Rich Dad, Poor Dad, anything that costs to maintain is a liability and anything that brings in a positive cash flow is an asset. For this reason, he recommends, keeping the dwelling place simple until one has enough true assets to pay for this liability.

I certainly agree it s better than renting though if you are going to be in a place long term because that property is an asset to the landlord and they are in business to make money like us all.
      November 19, 2016 4:28 AM MST

• If it's built on burial sacred ground.
      November 19, 2016 6:48 AM MST

• Ummm....yeah, that's probably the BEST reason not to buy. :)
      November 19, 2016 7:18 AM MST

• That or not being Zombie proof. Those two would do it for me.
      November 19, 2016 7:29 AM MST

• YES!! It HAS to be zombie proof!! That's a MUST! :) Brahahahahhaaaaa.....
      November 19, 2016 7:51 AM MST

• Of course.
      November 19, 2016 8:02 AM MST

• I tease my daughter about that so much, I think a small part of her believes that I actually think it's going to happen. :) 
      November 19, 2016 9:08 AM MST

• Well, tbh, I wouldn't take that as such a farfetched scenario you know?
      November 19, 2016 9:47 AM MST

• They're a big money pit and things constantly go wrong and even when you try to get things fixed most contractors/repairmen (sorry haven't had one lady plumber in my life) do a poor job. If you try to do something yourself you'll probably just make it worse. Then you have to cut the grass and paint. You're constantly worried that something will go wrong. Plus, you don't even really own it because you are in debt to a bank. The ONLY good thing is you don't have to hear those idiots upstairs banging around, but you might get bad neighbors and then you're in the same situation.
      November 19, 2016 7:25 AM MST

• That's pretty much all the reasons I prefer living in apartments. :) BTW, I'm the idiot upstairs. LOL. 
      November 19, 2016 7:52 AM MST