Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
DannyPetti
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Why is it called "Black Friday" when it's bright and sunny today?
Bez

Why is it called "Black Friday" when it's bright and sunny today?

Posted - November 25, 2016

Responses

• I prefer to think of it as a throwback to medieval terminology, and to mean the dark emotions that will flood many of these fools as they fight, injure each other and are generally nasty in an effort to gain something that will be redundant in a few months or a couple of years.

Silly.
      November 25, 2016 5:44 AM MST

You're right, MrWitch. That is silly. Very silly indeed.
      November 25, 2016 5:49 AM MST

• Absolutely. It's a very unedifying spectacle, especially when the guy throwing a punch to ensure his posession of yet another 400 inch TV to upgrade from his 398 inch TV, of which he already has several anyway, falls for the fallacy that he still isn't being ripped off by the same shops that sold him the overpriced one(s) in tne first place.
    Plus it's environmental lunacy. 
      November 25, 2016 5:54 AM MST

• And the saddest thing of all is that some of these people won't be able to really afford the 'bargains' they obtain.  As societies we really need to do more to make people aware of the psychology behind not just advertising, but ideologies - specifically, the ideology that more/newer = better.
      November 25, 2016 6:28 AM MST

People assume you are in the black, not in the red, and can tempt you to spend all your money on their sales. However, those sales are to lure you into their stores to get you to buy the more expensive stuff. 

It is a Black Friday because you are still in the black. By Monday, you will be in the red or in debt up to your eyeballs. 
      November 25, 2016 5:52 AM MST

• Most think it has to do with American commerce.   The day when sales and profits go from the red( deficit) to the black( profit).   It doesn't though.  Black Friday( as used today) was a term used by the Philly police to describe the chaos of the annual Army vs. Navy football game that occurred the day after Thanksgiving .  People would pour into the city for the game and riots and chaos would ensue.  Department stores and retailers began to use  the term in Philadelphia  as a sales pitch and it spread from there.
      November 25, 2016 5:54 AM MST

Lucky you...sunny and bright. It is cold and gloomy here. I want a small TV for my basement so I can have entertainment while on my treadmill and bicycle but I will wait for the week after Christmas. This post was edited by Element 99 at November 25, 2016 6:17 AM MST
      November 25, 2016 6:15 AM MST