Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Zack
Discussion » Questions » Electronics » What's the best way to make rid of old/defective electronics without throwing them away?

What's the best way to make rid of old/defective electronics without throwing them away?

Is there some kind of place that specifically takes in old electronics and recycles them?
I have tons of old and defective electronics, but I don't want to just throw them away.

Posted - November 26, 2016

Responses

We have a couple of stores here that offer free disposal periodically. Make some phone calls. Best buy will do it for a fee.
      November 26, 2016 8:12 AM MST

• When they say they recycle it.  Means they send it to Africa and the villagers burn it in piles to get the metals.   It's really screwed up.
      November 26, 2016 8:29 AM MST

They seriously do that? I was thinking they just take parts and make new things with them or something.
      November 26, 2016 6:58 PM MST

• Are they computer equipment or CD players and TV's?
      November 26, 2016 8:31 AM MST

Some TVs and computers that got killed by lightning, some defective speakers, an old VCR and stuff like that.
      November 26, 2016 6:57 PM MST

• Try calling your local refuse department.   Many communities have a drop of for them. Some will pick them up if you can't deliver them.

Speakers are pretty much safe to throw away or put in recycle bins.    Nothing really toxic in those or in any significant amount if there is.
      November 26, 2016 7:02 PM MST

gazelle.com
    Goodwill

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/7-things-you-can-do-with-your-old-electronic-devices/ This post was edited by Thriftymaid at November 26, 2016 9:49 AM MST
      November 26, 2016 9:34 AM MST

• An industrial arts teacher I know uses them for "Pull Aparts" to show kids how things work. They practice pulling the things apart. Examining how the connections are supposed to work.  Sometimes manage to fix them or use the parts to fix other objects or make new tools.
      November 26, 2016 10:36 PM MST

Goodwill
    Perhaps your local recycling plant
    Staples has drop boxes for old phones. 
      December 16, 2016 8:22 PM MST

In my community, the city dump has an electronic recycling department where they hire students to break down components and test so that as many parts can be reused.
    One of the schools has their students recycle computers to be given to families on welfare and anybody else who wants one.  
    One of the thrift stores takes electronic waste to recycle.  
    All high school students must do 40 hours of volunteer work to graduate, so this is a good placement for the geeky students.  
    Again, the computers are given away.  Look under recycling in your area.  You may find something similar.
      January 14, 2017 2:22 PM MST

Our municipal waste yards collect scrap electrical and electronic goods for recycling. Some of the circuit components contain precious metals that can be salvaged; all metal can be anyway, but the plastic parts are more of a problem. Once I took a sack of scrap circuit-boards and other wiring parts from old computers and printers to a scrap-yard and was given a very reasonable amount of money for it.
      February 7, 2017 6:36 PM MST