Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » Can you give me an example of the old saying. "A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing"?

Can you give me an example of the old saying. "A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing"?

Posted - November 29, 2016

Responses

Fire needs oxygen to burn but light up a cigarette around an oxygen tank and you could be in some trouble.
      November 29, 2016 5:38 AM MST

• Believe it or not,  I've seen people smoking who are on oxygen.  I step far far away from them. 
      November 29, 2016 5:41 AM MST

Sorry...but oxygen is not flammable. That is a movie myth. The cigarette would burn faster.
      November 29, 2016 6:47 AM MST

It may be a movie myth but it is perpetuated by hospitals and oxygen tanks that say flammable and have warning signs about smoking.  I experienced this back in my youth when I sometimes smoked a cigarette from time to time.  We were at a resort 11,000 feet elevation.  The first evening we all noticed that cigarettes lasted forever.  On the second day I had mountain sickness and had to be taken off the mountain.  Such good memories.  ;)

This post was edited by Thriftymaid at November 29, 2016 12:00 PM MST
      November 29, 2016 11:46 AM MST

Well with a little bit if knowledge a person can learn how to cook up meth and that is very dangerous to the community and the future. Cheers!
      November 29, 2016 8:37 AM MST

Sites like this one are plagued with this, particularly about law, but behavioral science is a close second.  People go on long tirades of anger and stupidity about things they don't actually understand and know.  I enjoy this one in its many forms and site names:

This post was edited by Thriftymaid at November 29, 2016 11:41 AM MST
      November 29, 2016 11:36 AM MST

@Thriftymaid -- Please tell us where you received your PhD in a behavioral science before you go criticizing others.

(Note: I happen to agree with you. Many people on the Internet are woefully malinformed about how human cognition actually works. But I count you among that number....;-D...)
      November 29, 2016 11:52 AM MST