Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » Y'all know I'm not a gun person so here goes. As you're running away from someone can you look over your shoulder and shoot him/her dead?

Y'all know I'm not a gun person so here goes. As you're running away from someone can you look over your shoulder and shoot him/her dead?

If someone fears for his/her life as you're running away there must be something lethal there to scare him/her. So has anyone ever done that? While in full gallop running forward can you turn your neck (a la The Exorcist) and aim a gun and shoot the person dead? What kind of skill would that take? Do you know anyone who could pull that off ?

Posted - December 1, 2016

Responses

Maybe it would be possible if you had a heat seeking rocket launcher because you wouldn't have to take the time to turn your head or aim - you could just  put  iy over your sholder and fire.. Cheers!
      December 1, 2016 9:04 AM MST

• Only an idiot would do that. That's not a practical use of a firearm.  I'm having a hard time grasping the point of the question. I could prolly give you an honest answer if you explain what exactly you're getting at.
      December 1, 2016 9:17 AM MST

You can do it in Hollywood.

The only practical way to pull off something like that would be with a tremendous amount of practice and or using laser sights to get a good aim.
    Then trigger control would have to be spot on or you miss or get very very lucky.

If your life was in danger and you could not run away then your choice would be to stop, turn, aim and shoot.

One possible outcome I overlooked is if the attacker is within 10 feet of you. Then they would be close enough you would have a good chance of hitting your target. This post was edited by Deaves at December 1, 2016 9:44 AM MST
      December 1, 2016 9:33 AM MST

I agree it could be done with lots of luck.
      December 1, 2016 11:41 AM MST

It's POSSIBLE for someone to do that, but it's not very likely.

Mythbusters did an interesting episode where Jamie and Adam fired pistols at stationary targets, using a variety of stances and gun-holding techniques (standard two-handed grip, firing from the hip, sideways "gangsta-style," etc.).

What they found was it was VERY difficult to be consistently accurate unless the shooter was stationary and squared-up (both the canonical two-handed grip and a one-handed grip colinear with the arm axis worked OK).  Moving, shooting without explicitly aiming down the pistols sights, firing two pistols at once, etc. all caused accuracy to suffer greatly.

As others have noted, I suppose someone who intensly practiced your hypothetical "run away while shooting behind" scenario might be able to develop some skill and accuracy. But the chances of Joe Average Gun Owner doing it are slim and none.
      December 1, 2016 11:48 AM MST