Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » What are your thoughts on euthanasia? And what are your reasons for or against?

What are your thoughts on euthanasia? And what are your reasons for or against?

All opinions will be greeted with respect.

Posted - December 2, 2016

Responses

I should be given it.
      December 2, 2016 7:17 PM MST

It costs a lot of money if you pay people to give it to you, but if you wait long enough, nature gives it away for free
      December 2, 2016 7:21 PM MST

• If you're serious, try looking up "EXIT" on-line.
    International organisation which supports it and offers information.
      December 2, 2016 8:34 PM MST

If someone doesn't want to live anymore, then that's their choice, no one else's.
      December 2, 2016 7:19 PM MST

• I agree in all cases in which pain is unavoidable. There are also instances when pain is not the issue, but the person is vegetative, or has, by the terms of their pre-written Advance Health Directive, reached a point at which their medical condition has become incurable and intolerable.

Something in your answer triggers me to wonder whether you are also including suicide in your definition. I don't agree with suicide when the issue is not about euthanasia, especially when it involves young people or people with dependents -- and this is because of the long-term and devastating effects on those left behind.
      December 2, 2016 8:42 PM MST

• With safeguards I'm all for it ... It's a dignified answer to what is often a messy problem
      December 2, 2016 7:23 PM MST

I agree, as long as the vet is qualified and uses a clean operating table, then it's all good. Saves the mess of pets dying and doing a messy death poop all over the floor.
      December 2, 2016 7:27 PM MST

Did you pay the vet in advance for yours?
      December 2, 2016 10:21 PM MST

• Agreed. :-)
      December 3, 2016 1:54 PM MST

It has its place and should be allowed but regulated as much as possible.
      December 2, 2016 7:58 PM MST

• Peter singer has an essay on it in his book, "Practical Ethics." It pretty much covers every ethical and legal issue possible. The results are visible in Switzerland and Holland and have prove to work well.
      December 3, 2016 1:56 PM MST

I am guessing you are talking human euthanasia, since animal euthanasia is already a widely accepted practice. Having watched my father-in-law dwindle down to a shell of a man, I am for it. What they don't tell you about dementia, is isn't just the memories you forget. You forget how to function. You forget how to walk. You forget how to swallow. Unless they put a feeding tube in, you starve to death. Then you wait for heart to forget how to beat. I would rather be euthanized than go through that. I would rather my family wouldn't need to watch that. This post was edited by Gatorblu at December 3, 2016 1:57 PM MST
      December 2, 2016 8:00 PM MST

• Yes ... That decision is the one valid decision left at that point
      December 3, 2016 2:49 AM MST

• Know exactly what you mean.
    I worked in aged care for a number of years and looked after my mother during her last 18 months.
    Most people honestly have no idea how bad the end is for many, many people.
    Dementia is one of the worst in what it strips away.
      December 3, 2016 1:59 PM MST

• It would need to be carefully monitored but given the right reasons I'm all in favour.
      December 2, 2016 8:06 PM MST

Some people just don't deserve to suffer and I think I could do it if I had to.
      December 2, 2016 8:46 PM MST

You could do what?  If you euthanized someone else, it would be called murder.  If you euthanized yourself it would be called suicide.  If you wanted a doctor or some other designated medical professional to euthanize you, it would be the doctor who would be "doing it" not you.  You said you would "if you had to", but you never HAVE TO.  Nobody makes you.  It's done with your knowledge and consent.

Nobody deserves to suffer, except a murderer maybe.
      December 2, 2016 10:30 PM MST

I'm in favor of it...

Note: Massive sarcasm alert.  Please be aware of the sarcasm.
      December 2, 2016 8:52 PM MST

• >yoink<
      December 2, 2016 10:10 PM MST

•    I am for it, for people that suffer and have no hope. Nobody likes to suffer.
      December 2, 2016 9:50 PM MST

• I don't think anyone's life belongs to anyone but themselves.  I think it's selfish to take that choice away.

December 2, 2016 10:12 PM MST

So you'd be okay with letting someone suffer in pain for years on end, with no hope of ever recovering, because they weren't capable of making that decision themselves? That sounds awfully cruel and inhumane.  Even a dog you put to sleep when it's suffering, but you'd let someone you love live in agony?
      December 2, 2016 10:35 PM MST

My body, my life, my choice.  It's not for me to determine that for others, or for them to make a choice for me.  
      December 2, 2016 11:15 PM MST

• Fully agree.
      December 3, 2016 2:57 PM MST