Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » You shoot someone running AWAY from you 5 times in the back and he dies because you were afraid for your life? What IDIOT believes that?

You shoot someone running AWAY from you 5 times in the back and he dies because you were afraid for your life? What IDIOT believes that?

Posted - December 6, 2016

Responses

• I don't. Sorry, but there have been a number of Supreme Court cases that have decided that you cannot kill someone who is fleeing unless they present an immediate danger to those around them. Just because you're frustrated by someone you're pursuing or intending to arrest does not mean you have a right to kill them. 
      December 6, 2016 10:19 AM MST

Well, I would be a total idiot trying to answer this without the rest of the story. 

I may shoot someone in the back 5 times if they had been stalking and hurting me and would not stop no matter what and this was the last straw.    Ever consider the back story? 

But, I know what you mean.  This probably alludes to yet ANOTHER story where some idiot "ROGUE" cop decided to be a big man/hero aka/George Zimmerman.

Fry the bastid.
      December 6, 2016 10:28 AM MST

Look up "Michael Slater". The cop who shot someone in the back who was running away from him. You have surely seen the video If not I recommend that you do. One juror said he could not in "good conscience" charge Slater with being guilty.  Look at the video. See what you could have done. Thank you for your reply.
      December 6, 2016 10:34 AM MST

I have seen that.  I didn't know what you meant.  

I would not shoot anyone in the back if I were a cop.  EVER.  I would not shoot someone twice in the back.  Or three times, etc.

I remember this, but this question came out of the blue and I did not realize what you were referring to. 

And thanks for taking the time to tell me, Rosie.
      December 6, 2016 10:44 AM MST

The judge declared a Mistrial because one juror could not "in good conscience" fault the cop. And so it goes. :( Will Racism ever be vanquished?  I think not.
      December 6, 2016 10:54 AM MST

• I can't really.  Yet if your running away with something you stole from my house?   Maybe.
      December 6, 2016 11:58 AM MST

@Glis -- It is NOT legal to shoot someone fleeing a crime scene (whether you are a civilian or a police officer) unless you can reasonably establish the person is an immediate threat to others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleeing_felon_rule
      December 6, 2016 12:16 PM MST

• I understand that, yet I still think it's justified.    Defense of property is legitimate  IMHO.

Also the clause specifically applies to police.  I'm not the police. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 6, 2016 12:23 PM MST
      December 6, 2016 12:18 PM MST

@Glis -- We may have to disagree on this point, because I STRONGLY oppose the notion that deadly force SOLELY in defense of property ownership is justified.

I don't care if someone stole your TV, your prized collection of Scooby-Doo action figures, or the Hope Diamond from you, it does NOT justify shooting the person. Pursue the person? Yes. Firing a warning shot in the air in an attempt to intimidate the person into stopping his flight? OK.  But allowing any Tom, Dick or Harry to cork off at someone they THINK stole their property is a recipe for mayhem and many innocent people being shot.

December 6, 2016 12:50 PM MST

Standard police practice. He can't argue in the mortuary. This post was edited by Malizz at December 6, 2016 4:54 PM MST
      December 6, 2016 4:53 PM MST

What a sad story! Good old fashioned common sense should dictate what the outcome should have been, instead of what happened.
      December 6, 2016 8:05 PM MST