Discussion » Questions » Family » What's worse on a child -- physical abuse or emotional abuse?

What's worse on a child -- physical abuse or emotional abuse?

I read one article that said that emotional abuse is more damaging than physical abuse.

Posted - December 10, 2016

Responses

• I don't think any of us can know, that hasn't experienced both. I can definitely see the emotional doing more harm, though. We can't know, not being experts, of course,  and not being in the right shoes. We can only guess. 
      December 10, 2016 2:28 PM MST

Emotional abuse from parents affects more than physical abuse. It can scar a child for the rest of his/her life.  Emotional abuse from parents can lead to depression, lack of emotional attachments to parents and guardians, worse educational achievement, worse social skills, anxiety, trust issues, lack of empathy, anger issues etc. Don't get me wrong, abuse in any form against a child is horrible no matter it be physical or emotional.

Source: Experience in each of these and had friends that have experienced this.
      December 10, 2016 2:38 PM MST

I have experience too.  The emotional is worse.
      December 10, 2016 4:59 PM MST

• There is no 'worse', merely variations on a theme.

Physical abuse will usually bleed into emotional abuse (by default or by design), as will sexual abuse.  The idea that they exist independent of each other is not one many abuse victims would recognise I think.
      December 10, 2016 3:17 PM MST

I second what MrWitch says. They're both bad and I find it doubtful anyone experiencing physical abuse isn't being emotionally abused as well. 
      December 10, 2016 4:18 PM MST

True in my case.
      December 10, 2016 4:59 PM MST

• I went through both as a child. The emotional abuse was worse that the physical abuse. I was in my 20's before I realized I really wasn't as stupid as my mother always told me I was. 
      December 16, 2016 8:44 AM MST

• I went through both as a child. The emotional abuse was worse that the physical abuse. I was in my 20's before I realized I really wasn't as stupid as my mother always told me I was.
      December 16, 2016 8:45 AM MST

Any abuse.  

A child is so delicate and affected by any harshness, that it is a crime to abuse such an innocent victim.  It hurts them bad.  Physically or mentally.  Just as bad. 
      December 16, 2016 8:47 AM MST

Emotional scars last far longer than the physical ones. I have slowly learned to heal. I no longer feel the anger I felt for decades. Forgiveness has helped me put the past behind me. This post was edited by Autumnleaves at December 16, 2016 11:53 PM MST
      December 16, 2016 11:48 PM MST