Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » How come Barkeeper's Friend is so far superior to Comet Cleanser and Ajax and the rest of those less than stellar kitchen cleansers?

How come Barkeeper's Friend is so far superior to Comet Cleanser and Ajax and the rest of those less than stellar kitchen cleansers?

Posted - December 11, 2016

Responses

I don't know, but you're 100% correct on this one! Once you go Barkeeper you'll never go back!
      December 11, 2016 9:17 PM MST

According to the InterTubes, Bar Keeper's Friend contains oxalic acid, which most other household cleaners do not.

Please be aware BKF is irritating to human skin, and should NOT be used to clean marble, pewter, or silver.
      December 11, 2016 10:04 PM MST

• Got to be a tad careful here ... I don't know the brand ... But hydrochloric acid also cuts through grease ... And many others things too ...
      December 11, 2016 10:05 PM MST

• Did you know that you can clean almost anything with soap, bi-carbonate of soda, and/or vinegar?
    If it's grease, use gloves, sand, and very hot water with the soap.
    It's five times cheaper,
    has no chemicals that cause harm to the environment, and does the job just as well as our great grandmothers did.
      December 11, 2016 11:04 PM MST

• HP sauce works too.  :)
      December 12, 2016 5:26 AM MST

• Fruity or just plain brown
      December 12, 2016 5:34 AM MST

• Yep, all of those.  I was just being lazy.  :)
      December 12, 2016 5:35 AM MST

• It's great stuff that's why.  It's also usually cheaper than inferior brands.

It's like skos said.  It's an acid based cleanser. I removes scale and corrosion better than anything.  Ajax is a bleach type and is okay.  Ammonia based cleansers though just suck.  A bottle of ammonia and baking soda is cheaper and stronger if you want to go that route.

Just make sure you flush your sink really good if you have brass or copper traps.   Oxalic acid isn't good to leave sitting in your metal sink traps.  A little baking soda is even better.
      December 12, 2016 5:00 AM MST