Active Now

my2cents
Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Have you ever had your house broken into?

Have you ever had your house broken into?

Or your car.

Posted - December 21, 2016

Responses

House no. But my car yes. I didn't have ac when I was 16 so I never locked and left the windows down. I figured it was a junker so no body would even think there was anything in it worth stealing. I did have some cassettes stolen once. 
      December 21, 2016 4:44 AM MST

Twice in Chicago.

Never here. But someone stole my mountain bike off my porch.  That was bad enough.
      December 21, 2016 7:06 AM MST

Yes, my apartment was broken into many years ago.
      December 21, 2016 8:08 AM MST

• Not sure, I think previous occupants at my first place still had access. I came home one night and all my stuff was unplugged. Nothing missing. As a single girl, it was a little bit frightening. Locks were changed post haste.
      December 21, 2016 8:41 AM MST

only my truck was broken into
    stole all of my CDs.
    ...tried to steel an Alfa i had, left it
    in the middle of the street
    when they couldn't unlock the steering wheel.
    ...Tried to steel an old 911 Porsche i had
    actually a tow truck took it, and as soon as i put out a police report
    it was returned later that day.
      December 21, 2016 9:19 AM MST

• Yup.  
      December 21, 2016 10:32 AM MST

No, thank goodness!
      December 21, 2016 4:24 PM MST

Not as yet. 
      December 30, 2018 9:37 AM MST

Yes, my wife arrived home from work one afternoon to find a guy standing in our dining room next to the window he had broken into. She screamed, causing him to jump right back out the window onto the back patio, hopped the back fence and ran down the hill toward the canyon behind our complex. She ran as far as the patio, which is how/why she knew which way he had escaped.
      Instead of immediately calling the police, however, she first called me at work. Alarmed, I made sure she was physically okay and that she wasn't inside the house, I had her hand up and call 911. I called them also as I grabbed my car keys and ran straight for the parking lot. I told my wife to go to the front driveway and make sure neighbors could see her, I didn't know if anyone else was inside the house or if the guy would return.
      I broke every speed law on the books getting home. The sheriff's deputies got there just before I did and had cleared the house, assuring that no one else was inside, no accomplices. Other deputies followed his escape route, but of course found nothing; he was long done.
      Inside the house, there was a stack of our belongings piled up on the living room couch. The would-be thief had apparently been in the house for quite some time, because some of the items were from the upstairs rooms. He had gone through the entire house collecting things, and was preparing to take them out the window when my wife came home and startled him.
      The deputies said it was common that burglars don't want any contact with residents, don't even want to be seen, and as such, my wife had most likely not been in any danger of physical harm from the guy. Neither my wife nor I bought that: news reports are full of women being beaten, raped, kidnapped and/or killed by what started out as a "simple burglary". Home-invasion crimes are also on the rise. We were grateful that she wasn't touched, but we were also mindful of the close call.

ALL changes and precautions to avoid a recurrence have since been taken.
    ~

December 30, 2018 9:40 AM MST