Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Spunky
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Finance » If you go to the bank for a loan you have to tell them how you will use the money. Doesn't every loaner of money have that same right?

If you go to the bank for a loan you have to tell them how you will use the money. Doesn't every loaner of money have that same right?

And isn't the borrower OBLIGATED to use the money for the purpose he/she tells you? Why?

Posted - December 27, 2016

Responses

Yes, but only honest people follow the rules which is getting rare these days, isn't it?
      December 27, 2016 1:15 PM MST

True dat! People can and do lie. We have no control over that TomT. Thank you for your reply! :)
      December 28, 2016 4:51 AM MST

Every loaner of money has the right to know what the money will be used for. Equally, every borrower has the right not to reveal what the money is for, but that will probably forfeit his ability to borrow. 
      December 27, 2016 2:12 PM MST

If I'm lender I want to know what the money will be used for. To buy drugs? To murder someone? Fuggeddaboutit!  If the need for the money is on the up and up there is no reason to withhold that information from the lender. Of course people can lie and they do.  I have no control over that.  I would never ask for a loan without being fully prepared to give all the details of how that money will be used and how I will repay it and when. Thank you for your reply Louie and Happy Wednesday! :)
      December 28, 2016 4:50 AM MST

That's a sticky one. Personally, I don't think it's the bank's business what the money will be used for. What if the person changes their mind and uses it for something else. I think a bank's main focus should be the individual's ability to pay back the loan. 

If I asked someone for a loan, or if someone asked me for a loan, I feel it would be prying to ask or be asked for the reason. 

On the flip side, I wouldn't want to loan money to someone who wanted  to buy drugs or to someone who told me they were planning on giving it to their abusive boyfriend who refuses to find a job. 

This is a very good question, but there are so many different variables, with grey areas, that it's a little difficult to provide a clear cut answer. There's merit to the various arguments. 
      December 28, 2016 4:40 AM MST

Thank you for your thoughtful reply PC. Here's what I think. If the reason for the need is on the up and up why would you resent letting the lender know? I think you wouldn't. You would be appreciative/grateful for having someone there to help when you needed it. I would not want to fund a murder for example or to buy drugs or hookers or a heist. I think the bank has every right to know how that money will be used.  If you are in need and you expect someone to fill that need you OWE the person the reason why. Just my opinion m'dear. :)
      December 28, 2016 4:46 AM MST