Discussion » Questions » Jobs » what does it mean if you send out resumes and someone gives you a ton of paperwork to do?

what does it mean if you send out resumes and someone gives you a ton of paperwork to do?

Last wknd i was sending out resumes, and yes i did it on christmas day too, didnt have anywheres to go anyways,  someone called me the next day and then someone else called me the day after, then they sent me an email with a whole bunch of stuff to do online, it took me a couple of hrs to do and then i printed out 32 pages to send them and was filling out all kinds of paperwork for background checks and stuff like that that i had to fill out an sign, then i also had to do an online food handling course. the job is for handing out samples in supermarkets, its part time which is good since i can go to school too. I finally got done this morning with everything, they called me monday, so it took me this long to get everything done. anyways, today i went to the library and printed out the certificate, then went to the post office which is near the library, got a big envelope and put all 32 pages plus a copy of the certificate which im surprised i passed, im bad at passing stuff and mailed it to them, so my question is this, after doing all that work , did they just hire me? Im planning on taking it if they do. any ideas of what just happened?

Posted - December 30, 2016

Responses

sounds like you are working...
    hoping that they are reputable 
    and trustworthy for you.
    Happy New Year
      December 30, 2016 1:36 PM MST

It sounds like this is a contractor job and, no, they didn't hire you yet. They have everyone do the same things and then pick from a list of people who qualify. This probably has a high turnover rate, so there's a good chance you will get in, even if you aren't the most qualified candidate. However, you didn't talk about where you'll be working. You should know that these types of jobs generally require a good deal of travel. This company may be structured differently, but most have you go to a different store every time and they may not be easy for you to get to without a car. Look into that before you invest anymore time in this one, please. 
      December 30, 2016 1:45 PM MST

i already told them i need to do it where i live and the store is where i live that id be doing it in if i was to get hired
      December 30, 2016 2:44 PM MST

• I'm with JA on this... a lot of companies make you jump through a lot of hoops because they know they can.. my son had a similar thing where he had to apply for an enhanced check to say he was safe to work with children and he had to complete a ton of paperwork.. in the end they did *hire* him but it really wasn't hiring as such..they were an agency that sends teaching assistants to schools as cover when their own staff are off sick.. my son wasn't trained in any way.. and surprise, surprise he didn't last..  see the company didn't care -people were disposable to them, they *hired* a lot of people but had no investment in them just left them to sink or swim.. most sunk... 

SO I guess it's possible but it sounds like a grotty job that isn't well paid and which you are pretty much left to figure it out yourself...  

I still hope it works out for you but I suspect this wont be a long term job
      December 30, 2016 2:36 PM MST

I went through something similar when I took a contract job just as a side gig to kill time. My job was to put out new movies in grocery stores, set up displays, and to work with the managers to get primo placement for the movies. The same thing happened... lots of hoops, no training, no communication with anyone from the company I worked for. I liked the job at first, but they kept adding more stops to my list and my furthest store was an hour drive from my home, plus, the store managers weren't always nice. They'd gripe at me about random things I had no control over, like what movies they got, the appearance of displays, theft rates, costs, etc. What seemed like a simple gig turned into me being a kicking post when I went into some stores. 

There are quality assurance testers that indirectly work for Google... one of the companies that hires is Lionsbridge- I don't recall the other. They give you a huge manual to study on your own time. I think it was 50-100 pages. I applied for that one at the same time I took the movie gig. I spent two weeks of my own time studying and still failed their test and they don't offer second chances. All that time is your time. You don't get paid for it. That's part of being a contractor.
      December 30, 2016 3:15 PM MST

• Ah come to think of it, my son never got paid even though he worked two placements, under horrible conditions, (much like you say happened with the store) he also had to pay for his own DBS check, (legal check here to make sure you are not a convicted criminal) so he spent a lot of time, money and a lot of hassle but didn't even get paid.. 
      December 30, 2016 3:23 PM MST

• Means you've been short listed ... Not hired. It's absurd  the hoops company's make people jump through for even entry level  jobs these days....I know cos I'm one of those  who headhunt and do hiring for company's... This is why I drink;)...I don't much like who I am in my day job :) but pays the bills , so aight'
      December 30, 2016 4:50 PM MST

Pearl, do you have the name of the company, an address and phone number, and a contact person?  This sounds strange to be all done via email.  You have just told them everything about yourself, probably including your social security number.  If you have the contact information I stated I think you should go to their office and have a face to face meeting.  

Where did you find out about this job?
      December 30, 2016 9:43 PM MST

ive talked to them and they seem like nice people, theyre not in my area but that dont mean theyre bad , they havent done anything bad, they havent stolen my identity of done anything like that
      December 31, 2016 9:33 PM MST