Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Have you ever tried lock picking?

Have you ever tried lock picking?

For some it's a profession for others it's a hobby similar in many ways to puzzle solving. 
Ever tried it?  It's kinda fun and it will likely scare you how easy most of the locks in your house are to pick by even a mediocre lock picker.  Even that $100 high end deadbolt likely has standard pins and can be raked,bumped, or zipped open before even trying a real single pin pick.

Anyone have any lock picking experience?

Posted - January 1, 2017

Responses

• Yup, BFF (big fat fail) couldn't do it. 
      January 1, 2017 12:59 PM MST

• It takes a little practice at first.  The big thing is finding the proper torque on your tension wrench.   That's the biggest thing to figure out first.

Did you use cheap Chinese picks or a decent set like a Sparrows.   a lot of those cheap sets with every odd duck pick and rake are too soft a metal, too thick, or just not shaped right to have much of a chance on anything but a Master padlock.  I make my own out of windshield wiper blades using old Peterson and Sparrows picks or full scale printouts as templates.
      January 1, 2017 1:08 PM MST

• I tried with a couple bobby pins, didn't work so I kicked the door in...that worked.  :-)

You make your own, interesting...
      January 1, 2017 1:19 PM MST

• Ahhh..   Yeah that's a big difference.

Yes.  There are lots of online "picking as a hobby sites" where you can get design templates and pick making tips. 
      January 1, 2017 1:22 PM MST

Never had luck opening any lock after it was locked. Ahem.
      January 1, 2017 1:35 PM MST

• Sweetie, you're not supposed to, you have to be a good girl and stay put...in your shackles while I touch you ever so lightly on your...  ooops forgot this is the main section... my bad.  
      January 2, 2017 9:56 PM MST

Oh. Yes Ma'am. I'm a good girl. *blushes*
      January 3, 2017 1:14 AM MST

• Yes you are :-) xo
      January 3, 2017 8:49 PM MST

Thank you Ma'am. :-)
      January 4, 2017 12:03 AM MST

no, i dont like to invade people's privacy, i have morals
      January 1, 2017 2:35 PM MST