Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
DannyPetti
Malizz
Zack
Discussion » Questions » Humor and Jokes » Political Question Game: Find five questions previously posted about Asian politics. [list the links in the comments]

Political Question Game: Find five questions previously posted about Asian politics. [list the links in the comments]

Category: Political Questions Game.

Posted - January 3, 2017

Responses

• I couldn't give you even one question on Asian politics from the time I've been on this site.
    If there have been any, I've missed them.

So I'm going to make some up...
    1. In Asia, it is necessary to get to know a potential business partner by dining with them and attending cultural events together. The chances of actually forging a deal depend on the willingness of westerners to go along with this custom and to follow the advice of their consulates on matters of etiquette, protocols, and laws. Do you think this is a useful custom that should be adopted in the west?

2. Asian countries have many different styles of government from communism, military oligarchy, and tyranny to republic and democratic constitutional monarchy. How should western democracies relate to countries with such different values and power structures? Should we boycott those with whom we disagree? To what extent is dialogue important and necessary?

3. Is Donald Trump likely to get America embroiled in a war with China by being bombastic and arrogant concerning Taiwan and the recent Chinese take-over of strategic rocks as a naval base in the Philippine waters of the South China Sea?

4. America has become strongly linked with Asia through the outsourcing of labour to cheaper countries and the importing of cheaper goods. To bring jobs back into the country and to keep money and resources on shore would require protectionist laws and limits to the freedoms of multinational companies. What consequences for the American economy would there be if Trump took this path? And would people be happy to pay more for their cost of living if it meant that far more people had work?

5. Do we have the right to object to other governments' infringements of human rights if our own western governments are institutionally perpetuating and committing atrocities every day? And what can we do to compel our governments to respect and protect human rights on home territory?

[By "our" I mean the USA and Australia, as I don't know enough about what England and other countries are up to these days.] This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 4, 2017 1:12 AM MST
      January 3, 2017 8:57 PM MST

That was part of my point. Political questions should be so much more, and they might in fact become interesting. I did not think anyone could come up with five questions about Asian politics posted here previously. Why is that? After all China seems to be a huge threat to USA. As a region it's huge, with lots of people, economic power increasing, etc. 

How about Australian politics? There was a major setback for the LGBT community. How about European politics, except for the few things that was brought into the debate in the recently held US election? How about Russian, its more than bombing Aleppo. Africa, and the Middle East? South America, for instance Brazil and the huge troubles they go through where social allowances have been frozen for decades to come?
      January 4, 2017 1:12 AM MST

• Thank you for mentioning politics in other parts of the world.

I believe one of the reasons why international politics is rarely discussed on AM is that most of the membership is American. Aussies who have travelled in North America tell me that most of the new broadcasts cover only the local and national events, except for wars involving US soldiers. It means Americans actually have no idea of 98% of what's going on elsewhere in the world, so they barely even think about it. Unless they've been overseas tourists, they have no idea how differently laws and politics work in other countries or what a difference it makes to life, nor how much of what their media presents them with is propaganda.

Australia has been suffering under the effects of a conservative government for the last two electoral terms. Despite having a very narrow majority in both the upper and lower house, it has managed, by means of negotiation with independents and minor parties, to pass legislation which has had negative effects for pensioners, asylum seekers and the environment on many levels. Our Great Barrier Reef is dying (see David Attenborough's recent films on the topic). Our Aboriginals in the far outback are still struggling with travesties of injustice, lack of self-determination and unequal treatment. Apropos the LGBT community, the bad news is that the government has refused to hold a referendum on gay marriage. Since less than 10% of the nation is actively against it, it is certain that such a vote would pass - which is exactly why the right wing has blocked the vote. I regard this as simply a matter of time. When the Labour Party next gets into power, gays will be given the right to marry.

In order to post questions on international issues here, it would be necessary for the relevant news item to be posted underneath, otherwise few would understand the question. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 4, 2017 12:59 PM MST
      January 4, 2017 12:43 PM MST

Your suggestion with relevant news item underneath is actually refreshing, educational, and initiating a better understanding of political issues around the world. We all, not least the Americans could learn from this. It would make the political questions interesting in stead of the harMoses, but annoying teasing the other side with numerous of rhetorical questions. It's not informative, and it's not educating. No one I see listening or truly debating the issues in sese of dialogue.

JA said the other day that it's approx. 60% of the members that are from the US. This means there should be plenty of space to debate other political issues than impeachment of Trump. Your replies have been more educating, and thought awakening than the political section has shown this year so far, with exception of one or two other questions brought about UK viewpoints on freedom of speech. Again, I'm not against political questions, or debates. I just don't see much inside that section these days... Hmm.
      January 4, 2017 12:59 PM MST