Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Entertainment » What's the main difference between English and American movies?

What's the main difference between English and American movies?

I have chosen clips from from two actors that, could be considered representatives of their respective countries: Hugh Grant and Arnold  Schwarzenegger.

That's my impression, what's yours?

This is the English clip.

And the American.

Posted - January 4, 2017

Responses

• No, no, no. 'You f*ck*ng my wife' etc etc.
    Oh man, that's horrible. As an English person I protest, and kick you in the shins. 
      January 4, 2017 1:15 PM MST

• Perfect choice Ms Lucia. Perfect! thanks  )
      January 4, 2017 1:23 PM MST

Not long ago I was looking into the differences inside comedy. Let me share a clip I found interesting.

January 4, 2017 1:16 PM MST

• LOve the clip... can't really argue with that.. it was presented fairly.. Stephen Fry is one of the greats and while I don't always appreciate Ricky Gervais I DO think he is pretty representative of Brit off the wall comedy.
      January 4, 2017 1:45 PM MST

:-)
      January 4, 2017 1:47 PM MST

• I find the Gervais guy, immensely annoying, especially when he laughs. I find English comedy as a whole predominate neatly sarcastic, and sorta snobbish. while I think the new American comedy relies on shock, ridiculing others, and using the word vagina a lot. 
      January 4, 2017 2:32 PM MST

• WE find him irritating and annoying.. that's kinda the point.. he plays a socially incompetent idiot who always gets it wrong.. that's the point.. it's not my cup of tea but that's what its about..  

LOL ok I will accept we are sarcastic.. it's in our genes but we are NEVER snobbish!  I totally refute that! We can't help it if we are all just so much better than everyone else :P Seriously that's an example of Brit humour there.. we truly aren't snobbish.. Americans say that and think that....  we aren't trying to be snobbish we are just being US.. the perception of snobbery is the territory of others.. What i am saying is... that it's the fault of the bystander if they perceive it as snobbery when we are JUST being US..
      January 4, 2017 2:39 PM MST

• Now, you are immensely clueless or brilliantly funny there my friend day. The last bit. I am six feet three inches tall, and in my boots, almost six five. Up until your response just now, I thought I was sorta tall, but now I see that im not. it's all in how the short people see me. im just being me. That's actually pretty good!
      January 4, 2017 2:50 PM MST

• A German and a professional
    moron? Representative of what. Grr.
      January 4, 2017 1:18 PM MST

Austrian, not German.
      January 4, 2017 1:19 PM MST

• Silly me. I think it had something to do with The War..
      January 4, 2017 1:26 PM MST

• You think?
      January 4, 2017 1:28 PM MST

Hitler was Austrian too. Oomph.
      January 4, 2017 1:40 PM MST

• In my defense I was making a bad point about sterotypes and inaccuracy. Just call everyone German and at some point mention The War. It is perhaps a British perculiarity. 
      January 4, 2017 10:59 PM MST

No need for you to defence yourself, you're excused. British as you say. ;-)
      January 4, 2017 11:35 PM MST

• It's a condition ..
      January 4, 2017 11:38 PM MST

True. Doesn't make us like you any less though. :-)
      January 4, 2017 11:55 PM MST

• That's good to know
      January 5, 2017 12:01 AM MST

Aww. Always dear... :-)
      January 5, 2017 12:15 AM MST

• Swiss, Germans, Austrians.  We're all the same to everyone else. Luxembourg and Leichtenstien?   Sounds German, they're Germans!
      January 4, 2017 1:35 PM MST

Lolz. Okay, let's educate the people... Areas where they speak German, be aware some of the areas do have other languages too.

January 4, 2017 1:45 PM MST

•   Next thing you'll be telling people  not every meal involves cabbage, onions, and sausage.   
      January 4, 2017 1:53 PM MST

Eisbein mit Sauerkraut. Every day, every place. Right?

January 4, 2017 2:00 PM MST

"Pigs were made to be eaten—therefore we eat pork all the year round. Consequently they who assert that all is well have said a foolish thing, they should have said all is for the best.”

Pangloss, Candide
      January 4, 2017 2:12 PM MST