Active Now

Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Sports » How much of a season can a player miss and still be eligible for rewards like Most Valuable Player?

How much of a season can a player miss and still be eligible for rewards like Most Valuable Player?

This question is motivated by the 2016 season  of Tom Brady (New England Patriots), who missed 4 games due to a league suspension, yet still threw 28 touchdown passes (tied for 7th in the league) and only threw 2 interceptions (by far the fewest of any starting quarterback who played 10+ games).

Should Brady be elegible for the MVP award, or is 4 games (25% of all possible games) enough to knock him out of the running. What if he only missed one game or two games? At what point does the amount of time missed disqualify a player.

Posted - January 4, 2017

Responses

• I don't know.   It should probably factor but not immediately disqualify.
    The amount of TD passes and interceptions isn't a clear indicator either.   Which games and which opponents kinda should have some bearing on it too.  I mean if the two interceptions were to the worst defense in the league or to the best team in the league makes a difference on how valuable he is.   Just as the touchdown passes does.    How "clutch" was he is what I mean.

Not a much of a football fan but I can relate it to baseball.
    Alex Rodrigueze gets payed way too well and is credited way beyond his actual worth because he hits homers.  Thing is though he swings at everything and rarely delivers anything when he needs to when the score is down.   If his team is winning  9-0 in the 8th though he knocks them out of the park.  He's not really all that valuable to winning the game.
      January 4, 2017 4:42 PM MST

I think at SOME point a player has missed too many games to be considered MVP.

For example, let's assert Brady missed all but one game in the season. He comes back for the last game, throws for 650 yards, throws for 6 touchdowns, and has zero interceptions. The Patriots win the must-win game which gets them into the playoffs.

Of course, Brady's single-game performance was for the ages and was highly clutch, but he MISSED 15 OUT OF 16 GAMES. Clearly, he's not the NFL MVP.

I'm wondering where people think the border is crossed from "too much time missed" to "eligible as if he played a full season."
      January 4, 2017 5:11 PM MST

• I gotcha.   I don't know the exact record or watch football.  Just speaking in more general terms, but I agree there is a point of no return.
    I kinda think being out on a league suspension as opposed to an in game injury has some bearing in it too.
      January 4, 2017 5:51 PM MST

Matt Ryan of Falcons has better rate than Brady. They are the only two over 110 which is almost always the standard for MVP. And given that Brady didn't play the 25% of games that should without a doubt throw it to Ryan.
    I don't think missing 4 games should necessarily eliminate a player but it is certainly a handicap. I would say if a player was out 1/2 or more of the season it should eliminate them from contention.
      January 4, 2017 5:48 PM MST

I think that player would need to play at least 50% of the season to be considered. I would say that having been suspended, like the cheater/player in question, should factor in. Of course, that might just be because I can't stand him. :)
      January 4, 2017 10:08 PM MST

• I'm with you on that.  Getting yourself suspended severely impacts how valuable you are to a team.  Missing games because you tore a ligament playing your hardest to make a play is way different than taking a risk to be suspended.  Putting yourself out there and getting hurt kinda makes you more of an asset to a team in reality.
      January 5, 2017 4:46 AM MST