ALF
Deaves
Adaydreambeliever
Master Cedar
Autumnleaves
Shar to the Rona
LyricalOne
Hezekiah
Malizz
Nevan B
Zack - Mr. GenXer
TrumpianZeitgeist
Discussion » Questions » Diet and Fitness » What is your favourite vegetarian recipe?

What is your favourite vegetarian recipe?

Also, where and how did you discover it?

Posted - January 6

• Quorn Japanese curry... I've been eating quorn now for more years than I care to remember.. Christmas lunch is always a quorn roast..  so it was a natural development.. I used to work in a japanese school and the japanese curry smells absolutely awesome..it's made with beef.. so I figured.. surely it's possible to make it with quorn?  

I used to make normal, Indian curries with quorn.. that was nice, but my favourite now is Japanese curry and I really don't make any other kind now :)

Aside from that... if you mean totally veggie and no pretend meat.. my fav meal in the universe is cauliflower cheese..
    2

• 1194
    OOOO cauliflower with cheese sauce.  My friend made that using a homegrown cauliflower and her great sauce. It was one of the most memorable meals ever.  
    2

• 2333
    Yum! :-)
    0

• 2333
    Had to look up Quorn. It said "Quorn is a meat substitute product available in the UK, Ireland, the US, Australia, Sweden, Italy, France and other countries." but I've never seen it anywhere in Australia.

Am familiar with Vietnamese, Thai and Indonesian style "curries." Particularly love the influences or tamarind, galangal, star anise and coconut cream. Yum!

Have never heard of curries in Japanese cooking so will look up the ingredients and methods and give it a try. Will let you know how we go.
    Thanks, Daydreambeliever! :-)
    0

• 5542
    I made this one up. I use all of the root veggies I can find and put them in a stew with some spices. I call it "Earth Stew"... Potatoes,Yams, onions, turnip, parsnip, beet, lots of garlic, rutabaga, carrots. I thicken the liquid with corn starch. The last batch I made wasn't that good and I couldn't figure out why. I shall try again.
    2

• 2333
    Had to look up rutbaga. Turns out its what Aussies call a swede.
    Yum! I like the sound of your recipe. Will give it a try and let you know how it goes.
    Thank you! :)
    0

• 5542
    I am honoured. You may also have other root veggies not available here.
    0

• 1194
    Spaghetti and Gardin meatless meatballs with Farmers Market Sauce and cooked onions
    Stuffed Mushrooms 
    Gardin meatless Chicken and vegetables
    Homemade Vegetable soup
    Gardin meatless burgers with cooked soft onions on a skinny bun This post was edited by MorningStar at January 7, 2017 10:19 AM MST
    1

• 2333
    Love the stuffed mushrooms and vegetable soup.
    I tend not to rely on pre-processed or packaged foods. Prefer to make everything from the raw ingredients.
    It we have balls, I make a version using fried onion and garlic, fresh fine ground parsley, soaked, soft-cooked chickpeas, soy or redbean paste, tomatatoe concentrate, pepper, and egg - blend together, make into even-sized balls, coat in sesame seeds, deep fry in rice bran oil, and drain dry before serving with tomatoe and garlic sauce on rice, semolina or buckwheat with green salad  or steam green veg.
    0

• Self-crusting herbed mushroom quiche. Delicious! (Found it in a vegetarian cook book.)
    1

• 2333
    Mmm, yum. Something special about mushrooms, how the flavour get concentrated with the cooking.
    1

• Shouldn't you be sleeping at this time of the morning?
    1

• 2333
    Yep, definitely.
    Doesn't the same apply to you?
    0

• 10110
    Ughhhhhhh......Ummmm......

2

• 2333
    Don't tell me you only eat meat! Really? Not even a little fired onion or green salad with a nice dressing on the side?
    1

• 10110
    Not quite, but it does kinda make it a meal in my world.
     I like things like humus, falafles, vegatable soup, etc.  I don't usually care for "meat replacement recipes" though.   Veggie burgers, veggie meatballs, veggie cheese, that kind of stuff.   It's always a big flat fail IMHO.  When I hear the term vegetarian or vegan recipes, my mind conjures using veggies in place of meat in traditional recipes and it never works out right.  I eat things that don't contain any animal products but they are things that are just run of the mill traditionally veggie based dishes.  Meat substitutes are abominations to me. Tempeh, tofu, quorn, okara,  and textured veg. protein aren't even allowed on my plate.  Same with milks that aren't milks.   I don't like them and try and limit my soy intake.

Making soups are a feel type of cooking more than a set recipe, and for other things I don't really have special recipes. Just the run of the mill ones.

As for  onions?  I can eat them alone fried or not.
    0

• 92
    In most parts of the world eating a vegetarian is illegal. Not to mention it's just plain wrong.
    4

• 2333
    Hmm, unless you count grass eating animals as vegetarians.
    Hypothetically leaving the law aside...
    What if the vegetarian donated his or her body to become food - for instance, if, in my will, I left you my body on condition that you eat is as a series of roasts. That way, I could be reincarnated as part of you. ;-)
    1

• 7340
    OMG!  That was a very good laugh you just gave me.  Thanx, TalanE.
    0

• 7340
    Wish I could honestly name an elaborate and impressive dish, but alas, no fancy recipe here.  Just something simple.  I love vegetables, stir-fried with teriyaki.  Very easy to fix and tastes great.  I've been preparing veggies that way since I was about 11.  As a young male I would brave the wild frontier known as the kitchen and try to cook things for myself.  Believe it or not, I would even clean the dishes when finished too, but I digress.  In my experimentations with seasonings and sauces I discovered that I love teriyaki.  Nowadays I would probably eat a tennis shoe if it's marinated and prepared that way.  Size 12.  Shoe strings steamed and served on the side. This post was edited by WingedWonder at January 7, 2017 10:00 AM MST
    4

• Yummy.
    2

• 7340

LMAO.  Good One, Tammy!

1

• 2188
    Surely there is beef in that, unless it is patent leather and that is not vegetarian either ;-)
    1

• 2333
    Ditto.
    Steamed fresh vegies with steamed brown rice and tempeh, tofu or chickpeas, liberally doused with teriyake and pickled ginger is one of Ari's and my favourite staples.
    Vegies will be something like broccholi, green beans, spinach or kale, with red pepper, carrots, and fried mushrooms. Yum! :-)
    He and I alternate cooking. His days he usually does this dish. My days a bit more complex.
    We each like each other's cooking, except on the rare occasions when we botch an experiment.
    1