Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » History » Besides rage, what other issues do people have that might correspond with a lack of white matter?

Besides rage, what other issues do people have that might correspond with a lack of white matter?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-athletes-way/201607/rageaholics-have-less-brain-connectivity-between-key-regions

Posted - July 7, 2016

Responses

As noted by your link, it appears people who have borderline personality disorder share similar superior longitudinal fasciculus white matter deficits as rageaholics.

However, one must be quite careful about drawing any causality inferences from studies like this. It may be that white matter deficits lead to certain kinds of mental health issues, or it may be people with certain kinds of mental health issues "wire" their brains so that they have white matter deficits.

I was recently discussing how neural imagaing can fairly accurately predict political orientation (liberals have larger anterior cingulate gyruses, conservatives have large right amygdalas), and the links I found on the subject similarly indicated it's not at all clear if the brain structure differences cause the political orientation, or vice versa.

July 7, 2016 10:48 PM MDT

Right. That's why I used the word "correspond." 

The brain can tell us a lot- if only we knew what it all meant. ;)

July 7, 2016 11:25 PM MDT

Maybe trying to keep up with the Jone's  - people will get them self's  deep in debt so they can have the best gadgets and cars. Cheer and happy weekend!

July 8, 2016 8:27 AM MDT