Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » How difficult/easy is it for any government to put restrictions/blocks on internet travel and only allow the people VERY limited access?

How difficult/easy is it for any government to put restrictions/blocks on internet travel and only allow the people VERY limited access?

Government can control all the news that filters through to the people. It will only approve of programs that celebrate it and block anything that is critical. In such an environment all media is controlled so the people never know what is really going on in their own country or in the world. Their ignorance is not their fault. It is the fault of an evil/paranoid government which is incapable of taking any criticism at all without hitting back hard. How many countries live under such restrictions?

Posted - January 10, 2017

Responses

It is quite easy. you just need to place limits on the routing servers that lead into the country.

As an example emails between Canadian email accounts cannot be routed through US servers even though that is often a shorter and quicker route.
    As I understand it this limit was imposed by the Canadian government after the US National Security Agency refused to give a firm promise not to read Canadian e-mails that were 'passing through' US cyberspace.

Likewise China limit access to (and from) Chinese cyberspace.

It is fairly easy to get around such limiters though, all you need to do is to bypass the 'border servers' with a direct link to a server inside the restricted area (fx by using radio or satelite links) This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at January 10, 2017 7:39 AM MST
      January 10, 2017 5:36 AM MST

Thank you so much for your very thoughtful, useful, helpful and informative reply JakobA. So if Trump wanted to screw us he could have blocks put on our internet access? But those of us who are knowledgeable like you could find a way around it? Hmmm. Well I know to whom to go if I have a problem!  Happy Tuesday m'dear! :) I really appreciate the time you to answering my question.
      January 10, 2017 7:41 AM MST

I rather doubt the Supreme Court would let him do that. "Pursuit of happiness" remember. He would need to convince congress too, to get them to propose such an idea.
      January 13, 2017 6:33 PM MST