Active Now

my2cents
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Once "the die is cast" can it ever be reversed? Can it be uncast? What does it take to effect such an outcome?

Once "the die is cast" can it ever be reversed? Can it be uncast? What does it take to effect such an outcome?

Posted - January 13, 2017

Responses

• Omar Khayyam put it this way, Rosie:

The moving finger writes and having writ,
    moves on: nor all they piety nor wit
    shall lure it back to cancel half a line;
    nor all thy tears wash out a word of it.

Sometimes ya just gotta roll with the punches.
      January 13, 2017 8:19 AM MST

I have two copies of the  Rubaiyat m'dear. Bear with me as I quote you one of my favorite parts

Myself when young did eagerly frequent
    Doctor and Saint, and heard great argument
    About it and about: but evermore
    Came out by the same door where in I went

Wish them the seed of Wisdom did I sow,
    And with mine own hand wrought to make it grow;
    And this was all the Harvest that I reap'd
    "I came like Water and like Wind I go."

Into this Universe, and Why not knowing
    Nor Whence,like Water willy-nilly flowing;
    And out of it, as Wind along the Waste,
    I know not Whither, willy-nilly blowing This post was edited by RosieG at January 13, 2017 8:36 AM MST
      January 13, 2017 8:35 AM MST

• He was great, as was Fitzgerald who "translated" the original. 

Have you read Richard le Galienne's version? It's quite different to Fitzgerald's and may be closer to the original text.
      January 13, 2017 8:41 AM MST

I have not Didge. I have never heard of it. If it quite different even if it closer to the original text I think I'll stick with what I have. I loved these verses for many decades. They are meaningful to me. Thank you for the info thought Who is your favorite author? Mine is John Steinbeck  Because I am of Armenian descent I also love William Saroyan. Who are your favorites?
      January 13, 2017 9:10 AM MST

• Among the classic Omar has always held #1 spot, but I love Scott (especially his Lay of the Last Minstrel which is sheer magic -- in both senses of the word). Boccaccio's Decameron was wonderful as were The 1001 Nights." 

Modern authors? I mostly like the penny dreadfuls -- Baldacci, Deaver, Connelly, Hill, and Robb. 
    Then of course, there's sci-fi and fantasy: Hard to go past Asimov for sci fi and McCaffreu for fantasy.

When I think of Armenia two names spring to mind. The first is Tigran Petrosian (Iron Tigran) who was world chess champion in the 1960s, He was virtually unbeatable. And today Levon Aronian is Armenia's top player and has been in the top 5 in the world, more often than not. 
      January 13, 2017 9:24 AM MST

it probably depends on what it is
      January 13, 2017 11:37 AM MST

• I mean, the whole point of that phrase is that it can't be.
      January 13, 2017 1:49 PM MST