Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Do you place BLAME for violence on peaceful protestors or do you blame the conditions/situations they are protesting? Why?

Do you place BLAME for violence on peaceful protestors or do you blame the conditions/situations they are protesting? Why?

Posted - July 8, 2016

Responses

• they're peaceful why blame them for the violence?

July 8, 2016 7:59 PM MDT

The blame for violence lies exclusively on the person or persons who committed it.

July 8, 2016 8:04 PM MDT

July 8, 2016 8:16 PM MDT

If a peaceful protester throws a rock, the protest is no longer peaceful. 

July 8, 2016 8:17 PM MDT

I blame violence on misguided individuals who lack coping skills. 

July 8, 2016 8:57 PM MDT

July 8, 2016 9:25 PM MDT
  • Bez

Most definitely the conditions/situations they are protesting. Why? Because the peaceful protestors don't want violence, that's why. I thought that would have been obvious.

July 8, 2016 9:36 PM MDT

• When watching footage of violence at protests, it's often very difficult to see who did what first.

To protest peacefully takes careful planning. The leaders need to coach the crowd in what to expect and how to behave.

It requires absolute passivity if the police come in to lay hands on protesters.

Ideally, the ones who don't mind putting themselves on the front line and being arrested are positioned on the outside and in the van-guarde to protect the others. Their role is to be completely passive, to go as floppy as rag dolls when police do anything to try to stop the protest. The best protests use humour, pageantry, and costumes to create spectacles that will attract the media.

Some activist protests are not organised with skill in tactics and strict passivism. In these, the leaders talk up the excitement and anger of protesters. They arm the marchers with firecrackers and marbles to throw under the hooves of police horses. I consider this to be violence and absolutely unacceptable as a form of protest

July 8, 2016 11:07 PM MDT

July 9, 2016 2:28 AM MDT

I have read some attacks on the "Black Lives Matter" organization as being the CAUSE of the violence Andy. Isn't that ridiculous? The a**holes BLAME the people who are the targets of the violence for the violence. Absurd dumbheadedness. One would think it would have been obvious. But obvious can only be ascertained by thinking human beings and once human beings are enveloped by hate thinking ends. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday.

July 9, 2016 2:34 AM MDT

Neither, I place the blame on the shooter.

July 9, 2016 2:59 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply BSurf.

July 9, 2016 3:17 AM MDT

Black lives matter should share in the blame of recent cop killings throughout the country. They were chanting about killing cops, pigs in a blanket. I'm sure if Mexicans or Muslims come under attack you would be the first to blame Trump, right?
      July 9, 2016 3:30 AM MDT

Yes. There are all kinds of protests. The organized ones as you suggest are best. Thank you for your thoughtful reply hartfire and the handy hints you provide. It's a helpful roadmap of what to do and what not to do!

July 9, 2016 3:31 AM MDT

I have seen some people blame the Black Lives Matter organization for the violence. Which is quite absurd . But when placing blame the victims are often first in line for attack. Sadly. Thank you for your thoughtful reply Step and Happy Saturday.

July 9, 2016 3:33 AM MDT

Some say they are angry that they aren't getting their share. They resort  to violence in protest. Who says life is fair? Who says? With a Trump fomenting hatred/racism/bigotry and encouraging violence. With his supporters numbering the millions?  You don't think the Trumps of the world bear/share some of the blame? You don't think the lemming Trump supporters bear some of the blame? They say nothing about ugly worlds tossed out in hate at targets. Of course violent acts won't be condemned. They are condoned . You say you only blame the person/person s who commit it? What about the person/persons who INSTIGATE it? How about them? Thank you for your reply FNR and Happy Saturday.

July 9, 2016 4:05 AM MDT

I put the blame on the people committing the violence. No one else is to blame.
      July 9, 2016 4:32 AM MDT

Are Trump supporters chanting kill cops? or cheering over the dead cops? No, they aren't, but black lives matter are. Keep your head buried in the sand, Rosie
      July 9, 2016 5:51 AM MDT

"Ugly words" are never an excuse to initiate force against another human being.

July 9, 2016 10:33 AM MDT

Hello Rosie:

Peaceful protestors AREN'T violent..  VIOLENT people are violent.  They're NOT the same, and it has NOTHING to do with the underlying issues.

Some people, usually the authoritarian types, CLAIM to love the Constitution..  But, the RIGHT to assemble IS a part of it, and they don't get to pick and choose WHICH part of the Constitution they love..

excon 

July 9, 2016 10:46 AM MDT

I blame the individual(s) who actually committed the violent act(s).

July 9, 2016 10:47 AM MDT

July 9, 2016 11:14 AM MDT

Unpeaceful protesters
    Is where the blame goes
    Not to the peaceful protesters
      July 9, 2016 4:12 PM MDT

•   July 9, 2016 5:30 PM MDT