Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Communication » The eye and the mind of the "Beholder" determines what true. Is there any extrinsic measure of true that is dependable? If so what and why?

The eye and the mind of the "Beholder" determines what true. Is there any extrinsic measure of true that is dependable? If so what and why?

Posted - January 16, 2017

Responses

• Some things are manifestly true, like the laws of mathematics and science.

Other things which appear to be true, and which we believe with all our heart to be true, probably are - until some defence lawyer cross-examines us and we begin to doubt things about which we were certain. 

On a wider scale, I think that societies and individuals create their own version of the truth.

Back in the cold war days the chargé d'affaires of the Czezhoslovakian Embassy called in to our communications centre to by-pass his own comms room. I got the job and while he was there my workmate asked, "What kind of rubbish does your government tell your people about us?" Without pause, he said, "The same kind of rubbish your government tells you." 

So we all think we live in the best country and have the best system but often it's simply what we've assimilated from our peers, our media, and our government. 

A religious person will give a different answer and say that "truth comes from God". It's not a principal I can accept so I'll leave them to argue that point themselves.

Interesting question, Rosie.  

January 16, 2017 2:57 AM MST

Thank you Didge for the compliment. That is your intention right? I expect the question is unanswerable though. Thank you for your thoughtful reply. At some point many of us need to belong to something so we embrace/espouse whatever basis we must to be accepted and stop thinking about it. We accept it as gospel..Bible or no Bible. Daring to question is automatic ouster from the group so if you have any doubts you must keep them to yourself or risk expulsion. Most people won't risk it so they go along. With a Donald J. Trump as the worst possible example. It is what it is. I wish it weren't but you know "if wishes were horses beggars would ride"!  :(
      January 16, 2017 3:55 AM MST

• I hadn't intended to bring Teflon Don into this answer. I've slapped at him more than a few times but prefer not to overdo it. That's why I don't normally answer questions about him.
      January 16, 2017 4:18 AM MST

No problem Didge. Different strokes. I ask lotsa questions. You probably have no problem finding one or two you can answer from time to time. As for the rest? I ask the questions for me not thee so as long as I can please myself I'm good. As long as you please yourself you should be good too!  Thank you for your reply.
      January 16, 2017 4:32 AM MST

• Fair enough, Rosie. And now it's bedtime for me. Back tomorrow. 
      January 16, 2017 4:35 AM MST

Happy dreams. Are you a tennis buff? The Australian Open begins today. Jim is watching it curretly! :) FYI
      January 16, 2017 4:51 AM MST

• Not so much, Rosie. We've wsatched the open for the past 10 years or so but can't seem to work up much enthusiasm this year. We're having an unusually difficult heat wave and we're both feeling kind of lethargic. Or maybe we're just getting old. :( 
      January 16, 2017 1:27 PM MST

I mentioned it on another thread Didge before I read this one. Well we are Roger Federer fans and he made it through to the second round. We don't know when he will retire but we want to watch every match as long as he is out there. Did you or do you have a favorite? Of course Rod Laver is a superb example of great player and great person. There are a lot of young players coming up whom we've never heard of.  The mantle is always being passed. :)
      January 17, 2017 3:59 AM MST

• There were a couple of great games on overnight and since it was too hot to sleep we stayed and watched. (It's 6.30 am here now and already 34°C or 93°F.) On Margaret Court Arena Daria Gavrilova played a blinder against Naomi Broady, And it was great to see Rafa back in action. Like you, Roger is our favourite and although, realistically, he's past his peak, he's still capable of beating anybody in the world. We'd love to see him win this. 

Must have been a fabulous game between Krlovic and Zeballos. The final set lasted 42 games and the match went for about 5 hours. How does anybody, no matter how fit, have the stamina to play that long in high temperatures?

Glad you're enjoying it. Go Roger! 
      January 17, 2017 12:34 PM MST