Active Now

Slartibartfast
my2cents
Element 99
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » How well correlates Christianity with prejudice?!

How well correlates Christianity with prejudice?!

Hmm.

Posted - July 9, 2016

Responses

What are you trying to say?

Does prejudice correlate with Christianity?   Very sketchy when asked this way. 

I would say, rather than this wording, Does being a Christian necessitate being prejudiced?  Or is prejudice a necessary evil of Christianity?   Or, going along your line of thinking, How well does prejudice correlate with Christianity.

Correlate:  To have a mutual relationship or connection, in which one thing affects or depends on another:

Does prejudice depend on Christianity?  No  Does Christianity depend on prejudice?  Not when followed to the letter.   It seldom is.  Most people who attempt to call themselves Christian don't have any idea what the letter of the Christian faith even is.

You cannot blame a faith that demands that we love our neighbor as ourselves for the idiots that blaspheme and fake being what they lie and say they are when they are the biggest haters around. 

It is like the terrorists saying they are Muslim when  a prejudiced  hater says he is Christian.

July 9, 2016 10:32 AM MDT

July 9, 2016 10:36 AM MDT

I'm not saying anything. I'm asking. I do wonder when I meet someone who defines themselves as Christian, and living by Gods word, and then learn, how they simply based on names think they can define people and what they are. Made me think a bit. I personally don't think every Christian is being prejudiced, but I've met a significant amount over time that made me wonder.
      July 9, 2016 10:38 AM MDT

Interesting. Next to ask ourselves, how do we make conservatives think more abstract. Won't they fight such ways of thinking per default?!
      July 9, 2016 10:40 AM MDT

With true Christianity?

Not at all. Christ's teachings are contrary to prejudicial thinking.

July 9, 2016 11:29 AM MDT

My initially thoughts too. Hmm. Yet I meet very very Christian people, who claims living by Gods words who are prejudiced.it is rather contradictory.
      July 9, 2016 11:34 AM MDT

Sapphic

A LOT OF THEM YESSSS

I don't want to say all of them lest I be accused of doing what they do.   All MUSLIMS are evil terrorists.  That kind of mentality.  So, I take the side of the good Christians who keep their noses clean and minds above-board.

July 9, 2016 11:44 AM MDT

That's great. I found an interesting clip on the subject, however I can't find a way to add it in the video section. Ugh. Link: http://request.org.uk/issues/prejudice-and-christianity/
      July 9, 2016 11:53 AM MDT

The term "Christianity" encompasses many different beliefs.  The Bible is interpreted in a myriad of ways.  Some do use the interpretation they subscribe to for the purpose of prejudging others.  As does anyone who paints all Christians with a broad and all-encompassing brush.  Personally, I try to follow Christ's example...rather than any man's interpretation.  

Disclaimer:  I try.  I may not always succeed.

July 9, 2016 12:01 PM MDT

Not well at all. US Christianity is an exception, it is not the norm. Thank God

July 9, 2016 12:04 PM MDT

Trying is all we ever can. Try to do things the ways we believe, including religion or not. Each to their own, but hopefully without prejudices that is. IMHO.
      July 9, 2016 12:10 PM MDT

What makes US Christianity such an exception.
      July 9, 2016 12:11 PM MDT

It's a perfect match.
      July 9, 2016 2:46 PM MDT

You would be better served to question Islam, in whose name hundreds or thousands are murdered each week, and not Christianity, whose followers kill no one.

July 9, 2016 2:59 PM MDT

Thank you WW. See! This was why I appreciated you coming back online along with the rest of us. I really appreciate your thoughts and sharing them with us. Amen. :-)
      July 9, 2016 3:22 PM MDT

Sad one, huh?
      July 9, 2016 3:23 PM MDT

Well I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition!
      July 9, 2016 3:29 PM MDT

You would be better of watching yourself in a mirror than imitating you're really interested in interacting with people who thinks differently than yourself. Do you call yourself Christian? I'm curious. Wait... It does t really matter, you don't live by the word so why waste more time on the pity. The question was SPECIFICALLY about Christianity in this context. No one says or talks about how other religions might have the same or alike challenges. Now do you have a REPLY to the QUESTION! Or do you simply want yo use the space for agitating your hatred. Btw, how does God look at hatred?! No need to answer any of my questions to you as they are rhetorical, and I don't intend to make the thread with you any longer from my part than this one response to your NO-ANSWER on my question. Over and out.
      July 9, 2016 3:29 PM MDT

And you did?
      July 9, 2016 3:35 PM MDT

Thank you. :-)
      July 9, 2016 6:30 PM MDT

Prejudice is present in all segments of society. To assume that it is the domain exclusive to Christianity is foolish and ignorant ...

July 9, 2016 6:52 PM MDT

I don't think this question assumes that prejudice solely belongs to Christianity. It does HOWEVER ask about if there is a correlation between the two. That will in my objective not eliminate the possibility of other religions might have such correlation too. Thank you. Take care.
      July 9, 2016 6:59 PM MDT

As there are 2.2 billion Christians in the world as of 2010,to make any generalizations would bed an exercise in futility

July 9, 2016 8:35 PM MDT

So we can't say it shouldn't correlate at all?!
      July 10, 2016 1:17 AM MDT