Active Now

my2cents
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Language » Should I alter my aM profile?

Should I alter my aM profile?

My profile carries the warning, "Beware, I have a licence to tell lies." Given the contribution made to American English just this week, should I alter it to read, "Beware, I have a licence to present alternative facts?" 

Posted - January 23, 2017

Responses

• I truly don't think you could do as much damage to the English language as Trump has the last 6 or so months... and ditto with the alternative facts but you are welcome to try :P
      January 23, 2017 3:23 PM MST

• As you and Plingsby, both residing in the Old Dart, would know, the mere fact that I live in Australia probably makes me guilty of wreaking irreparable damage to the English language. I appreciate your tact in not mentioning it. Mea culpa.\ >:-/
      January 23, 2017 3:35 PM MST

• Absolutely not... you have said things like, "gets up my nose" that proves you are closer to the Brit language than you think.. :)
      January 23, 2017 3:42 PM MST

• Thanks, Daydream. Unlike those people on the other side of the Atlantic, we use our 'U's too. But we spell it differently. Australian vowels are A,E,I,O and Youse. 
      January 23, 2017 3:48 PM MST

• Oi! Point of order!   the brits still owe us for inflicting words like pneumonia  upon us!
    :)
      January 23, 2017 6:15 PM MST

But surely, "alternative facts are falsehoods". My profile carries no such warnings, of course, I just fib anyway (but only when it might get a laugh).
      January 23, 2017 3:24 PM MST

• I was actually called a liar on here a few days ago. I said that I'd known two Catholic priests who smoked and some clown said he knew 50 who didn't then called me a liar. Thank goodness the question was about smoking and not paedophilia: he'd probably have sent the Vatican mafia after me. 
      January 23, 2017 3:36 PM MST

Pope Benedict:

OK, so its a photoshop, but he did say he enjoyed an occasional cigarette ;-))
      January 24, 2017 12:56 AM MST

• Good ad for Marlborough, though. :) 
      January 24, 2017 1:43 AM MST

• You could go as a MOAF.. master of alternative facts ... but i think we already have someone to fill that position
      January 23, 2017 3:35 PM MST

• Ozgirl, that's a brilliant idea. MOAF has class. It should be awarded to any occasional resident of either DC or the ACT. 
      January 23, 2017 3:39 PM MST

• Thank you... but it may be too late ... i fear  certain accolades have already been given out most recently ....
      January 23, 2017 6:17 PM MST

• How does one go about getting this license to tell lies? I could really use it!
      January 23, 2017 4:00 PM MST

• It was bequeathed on me by a tutor at JCU. He said, "You are a writer. You have a licence to tell lies." Red, I'm happy to say that I am duly authorised to pass on the honor in his absence. Consider yourself in future to be Red Steele KAF (which, as everybody now knows, is Knight of Alternative Facts.
      January 23, 2017 4:22 PM MST

• Sweet! I think I'll use it right away!
      January 23, 2017 4:37 PM MST

Nah, I like lies over alternative facts. It's way more classy and sassy. 
      January 23, 2017 4:30 PM MST

• I'm with you. Give me an honest liar over a prevaricating politician any time. 
      January 23, 2017 4:38 PM MST

Yus.
      January 23, 2017 4:42 PM MST