Active Now

Spunky
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Sports » Do you fish to eat them or to just be out enjoying nature and drowning worms?

Do you fish to eat them or to just be out enjoying nature and drowning worms?

Posted - January 24, 2017

Responses

• Haven't fished since the kids grew up but I was always looking for a feed. Of course, if they were biting I didn't stop because I had enough but what we couldn't eat, I gave away. But there was very much a feeling of relaxation, communing even, sitting on the beach with a rod in my hands. 

But fishing has its disappointments. One night, right on dusk, I landed a big flathead. I don't know what it weighed but it was long enough to hand off both sides of the kitchen table. At the same time (stipulated for the sake of the doubters.) And why was it disappointing? Because I was alone on the beach and there was nobody to see it. 

Then a little kid came along with his father and came running down with a, "Hey, Dad! Come and look at this big fish this bloke's caught." Fine Australian boy. There should be more like him. 
      January 24, 2017 2:37 PM MST

• I've a friend who's literally terrified of worms..  I happen to love worms and have been known to save a worm caught out in the open after being washed out of the soil by rain.

I used to go *fishing* when my kids were younger.. in other words I would sit and watch, read a magazing/book and just enjoy nature and the natural surroundings... 

In the UK we mostly put fish back.. not sea fishing but lake and pond they get put back.. we can use worms but I think maggots are more popular. 
      January 24, 2017 3:21 PM MST

• Don't suppose you saw that episode of New Tricks where Brian wanted to go fishing in a disused quarry and left his maggots in the fridge ... where they got into Sandra's lunch? He was NOT popular. 
      January 24, 2017 5:55 PM MST

• I fish to eat them. If I catch anything, I bring it home with me and my room mate will fix it up because I burn everything...
      January 24, 2017 3:24 PM MST

We mostly eat what my husband catches.  Sometimes he only goes out for the sport of it - catch and release.
      January 24, 2017 3:31 PM MST

• I haven't fished in a long time, but when I did, I did bring the catch home and eat them. Of course, that's dependant on where I was fishing and if the water wasn't contaminated
      January 24, 2017 5:36 PM MST

it was always for the food value,
    and I always used lures. :)
      January 24, 2017 6:04 PM MST

Catch and release.
      January 24, 2017 7:35 PM MST

• Worms, leaches, crickets, crayfish, minnows, frogs, etc............
      January 24, 2017 7:38 PM MST

I've never fished or drowned worms;))
      January 24, 2017 7:40 PM MST

When I was a kid, I used to help my mother catch fish for dinner.
      January 24, 2017 7:54 PM MST

no, ive never gone fishing
      January 26, 2017 1:58 PM MST

• "Just to enjoy nature" ... and I don't usually use live bait.
    I'm a fisherman ... "catching" is not required.

February 3, 2017 4:22 AM MST