Active Now

Randy D
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » "He's not heavy. He's my brother". Meaning he's not a burden. "Get off my back you lazy bum". Meaning the opposite. Which do you buy? Why?

"He's not heavy. He's my brother". Meaning he's not a burden. "Get off my back you lazy bum". Meaning the opposite. Which do you buy? Why?

Capitalists are all about me me me me me. The Donald is all about him him him him him. He is the PERFECT poster old man to represent a selfish greedy lifestyle of the obscenely rich and famous. Couldn't have gotten a better rep than that no matter how much you paid for him.. After all who elected him? The Donald wannabes. The Ugly American. The Greedy American. The Selfish American. 

Posted - January 26, 2017

Responses

• Depends if it's someone I actually consider a brother or not.
      January 26, 2017 7:38 AM MST

Blood relative. I get it. Thank you for your reply Glis and Happy Friday.
      January 27, 2017 5:48 AM MST

• Both. I've always been a strong advocate of helping the aged, sick, disabled and injured. Unfortunately they'll never have access to the trough because of the freeloading goldbricking bums and malingerers that are welcomed and encouraged to live off the public dole. 
      January 26, 2017 11:08 AM MST

What about the Republicans who feed off the trough of the public dole? Like all the Congressman who did nothing but keep repealing the AHCA  during the Obama years.  5 thousands times or more they investigation nothing and tried to repeal the same dam* but the rest of the time took vacations and sat on their fat a**es  doing nothing? Don't they count too? Thank you for your reply dw.
      January 27, 2017 5:50 AM MST

Not all the people who voted for him are ugly, greedy, or selfish.  I have told you before I am friends with people who voted for him.  We don't agree on Trump but these are very decent hard working people.  I now live in an area that is depressed and I can tell you for a fact that I have met a lot of people here who "work" the system.  They are able bodied and there is no reason why they can't work.  They choose not to because they feel working for McDonald's or Walmart's or any entry level job, is beneath them.  They are very aware these low paying jobs don't net them what they are able to get from the government. 20 years olds are on Section-8, welfare, & food stamps!  Why?  The entire system needs to be overhauled.  My Trump loving friends believe he is the man who will do the job.  I'm not so sure about that but to date, no one else has fixed it.  Coming from New York & retiring to an area of the country where people are struggling has been a real eye opener for me.

I know a woman, married with 4 kids, lost her house in the mortgage crisis.  She applied & received section-8, food stamps, & welfare payments. Eventually, although not making a lot of money, she and her husband both were able to find part-time jobs.  Rented an apt and was responsible for a portion of the rent.  The landlord thought she was a decent person.  She didn't pay her balance of the rent for months, she managed to keep the eviction process at bay for additional months, leaving quite a huge balance due in addition to unpaid electric bills. Family moved from the apartment in the middle of night.  The place had been renovated prior to their moving in. They completely trashed it. She is now heading up a state program that helps people with oil bills during the winter.  She shows up daily on a local web page instructing people on how to work the system.  I know the woman & I know the landlord.  She bragged about what she did.  Bragged. 

January 26, 2017 11:47 AM MST

The question I asked is in caps.  Why are you focusing on the subtext? Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday Harry. Your riff is interesting but not applicable TO EVERYONE. There are always going to be exceptions. People who game the system. The obscenely wealthy at the best at doing that. How do you think they obtained their wealth? This post was edited by RosieG at January 27, 2017 5:56 AM MST
      January 27, 2017 5:55 AM MST

Happy Friday to you too Rosie.

I focused on the subtext because I felt it directly impacted the point you were making in your question.  As you point out in your response, there are always going to be exceptions.  But the wealthy in this country are a minority and couldn't have cast enough votes that would ensure Trump a victory (unless the voting was rigged and I'm certainly not going to go there).  I think the people like my neighbors & friends here make up the majority of those people.  Just my opinion.  

Regarding the obscenely wealthy gaming the system, not all do that.  Warren Buffet got to where he's at because he is smart.  But, yes, generally I do think the majority of the wealthy get to where they are at by not playing by the rules, manipulation, intimidation, lying, & yes, gaming the system.

January 27, 2017 4:11 PM MST