Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » What do you think about subliminal reinforcing?

What do you think about subliminal reinforcing?

During the semi-final of the Australian Open (last night) Channel 7 repeatedly showed the Open logo, during and between games.

It wasn't simply screened but, in a faction of a second, zoomed from a point in the background until it seemed to zoom out into the room. Doubtless they were playing this almost-subliminal game in order to reinforce our desire to keep watching, and to watch again next year. No harm done there.

But what if they do the same thing with consumer products or politics? What if bradcasters in various countries hit their viewers with subliminal photographs of a smiling Theresa May, or Validimir Putin, or Donald Trump, or Kim Jong Un? What would be the impact on viewers? Should we be worried?

Posted - January 26, 2017

Responses

I don't really think it works! The fact that you noticed and are questioning it shows it does not work on everyone. (Smiling face of Trump or Putin might scare the kids.. maybe you should not turn that channel off when there ate children around LOL )
      January 26, 2017 1:54 PM MST

• It wasn't quite subliminal and I've never noticed it before. (If they've been doing it right through the Open, I missed it). It may be an experiment but it was just ticking me off. Not that it was annoying in itself but because it appeared to be an attempt at manipulation. 

And you're right. A smile on the face of a politician could frighten babies. :(
      January 26, 2017 1:58 PM MST

I think it would be

a good thing for a government 

to do when the citizens

are so divided

that they are attacking 

each other over 

the issues

and there may be 

the real or perceived worry

of a revolt

January 26, 2017 2:17 PM MST

• LOL just makes me hate him more the more i see him.
      January 26, 2017 2:39 PM MST

LOL.  Well, no one said the government would know which picture might work or if it would work at all.  They are just attempting to avoid complete anarchy in the streets.
      January 26, 2017 2:44 PM MST

• Love it, Harry. That's very clever.
      January 26, 2017 4:37 PM MST

• It's an interesting concept... I wouldn't put it past some countries to use it and maybe have for years... whether it works tho.. who knows.. 

My feeling is that on some level it may.. on many.. for instance while we all, me especially, say adverts on tv don't influence us.. in actual fact they often do...  just as an example.. I have a cough... rather than go looking for a cough med, reading all those bottles, trying to determine.. I'd go for the one I saw advertised on tv that said it was for all coughs.. even tho I can't remember it's name,  I remember it's for all coughs..
      January 26, 2017 2:44 PM MST

• It works like that. Subliminal (or even semi-subliminal) is worse. It probably stemmed from NLP which can be very beneficial or very manipulative. 
      January 26, 2017 4:39 PM MST

No wonder why I don't watch the tennis
      January 27, 2017 3:39 AM MST