Active Now

my2cents
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Language » The English Language is not for the faint of heart because _________________?

The English Language is not for the faint of heart because _________________?

?

Posted - January 27, 2017

Responses

When you leave out a 't' it makes you look like a chump.
      January 27, 2017 9:52 PM MST

• Because WYSIWYG, and that's the acronym for What You Say Is What You Get. If I went around telling people what I thought about them they'd punch me on the nose so I'm learning some Russian cuss words so I can insult people without having to fight. 

что ответить на ваш вопрос?
      January 27, 2017 10:05 PM MST

• NOW Thats SMART!
      January 28, 2017 8:23 AM MST

Where shall I begin?  The English language is not for the anaemic, debilitated, decrepit, delicate, effete, enervated, exhausted, faint, feeble, fragile, frail, infirm, languid, puny, shaky, sickly, spent, tender, unsound, unsteady, wasted, weakly  (breathe please) The circulatory organ of the body: (Slang) ticker, essence, crux, xore, nub, root, gist, meat, marrow, pith, substance, kernel, nitty-gritty, The impulse is transmitted in a fraction of a second through the atria to another group of similarly sensitive fibers called the ...

Because you can never get a straight and simple answer.  Most words have more than one meaning and are spelled with no rhyme or reason. It's a discombobulation of a  bunch of other languages combined into one.  There is one rule:  There is an exception to every rule. This post was edited by Merlin at January 28, 2017 11:28 AM MST
      January 27, 2017 10:40 PM MST

• Goodness me, Merlin, this site has opened up a new you. What a great answer! Love the idea that slang is the circulatory organ. It sure makes the language flow. 
      January 28, 2017 11:29 AM MST

• It's a wonderful language... why? Because it steals all the best bits from other languages ... a portmanteau  language ... how else can you tell someone to go ye forth and multiply and get away with it
      January 27, 2017 11:14 PM MST

Hi Ozgirl~ Being a wizard of many hats and having traveled many places through out time, I feel we have met before.  Maybe in a poppy field?!  Wherever the meadow, field, or garden, obviously we had lots of fun and I have not forgotten.  
    I would like to say, with all do respect, I have little faith in mulitiplingith so quicklith on this wee planetith we live onith.  Ye thinkith the little lads and lasses in our future land, might be a bit parched in their wee mouthiths.  Remember, moderation in all things is a good thingith. 

My wisdom sayth: Practice all you would likith.  Just do not make anotherith too soonith. And limitith yourselfith to only replacing yourselfth.
      January 28, 2017 3:01 AM MST

• Lol ... I'll run this through Google translate and get backeth to thee :)
      January 28, 2017 3:05 AM MST

Huge giggleths!  It's nice to see you!
      January 28, 2017 4:50 AM MST

• The laughter of fair maiden runs like a stream over pebleded stones, a delight to hear.
    Glad you liked playing... And nice to see you... Even though the mists of the net :)
      January 28, 2017 6:17 AM MST

• Ozgirl, you MUSTN'T run it through Google Tramslate. You'll break the thing and Google will ban you forever.
      January 28, 2017 11:32 AM MST

If only it was google translate that got broken, but it is not.
    It is the text you want translated that gets turned into meaningless gibberish.
      January 29, 2017 7:51 AM MST

• Not quite meaningless. I just ran it through myself and it came out slightly different to what I'd fed in. Reminds me of the old myth that if you feed "Out of sight out of mind" into Translate yoiu'll get back "Invisible idiot". 
      January 29, 2017 12:10 PM MST

Well it is where Janglish and similar gibberish comes from:

When syntax and structure differs between languages it becomes more visible, but it happens even where the differences are minor (eg: translating irish-English to British-English)
      January 31, 2017 2:47 AM MST

• Like ! I mean REALLY like ! Coolbeans.
      January 28, 2017 8:27 AM MST

....just when you think you have it you run into another one of those dreaded exceptions.
      January 28, 2017 12:37 AM MST

• I think I follow you that thread of thought. Hey thriftymaid!!!
      January 28, 2017 8:30 AM MST

• (First off, I assume that you're talking about American English).
    ........... "multiple ways to pronounce most letters of the alphabet;
    a multitude of irregularities; slang words and slang meanings of words;
    definitions of words change according to latest trends .... etc.
      January 28, 2017 3:10 AM MST

Prounced?  It's in there twice.  :)

January 28, 2017 3:44 AM MST

• I see that.  Disclaimer: I didn't create the graphic. :)
      January 28, 2017 3:46 AM MST

Yeah, I could tell if was one of those...........things.  

January 28, 2017 3:48 AM MST

• Haven't seen ghoti for a while. It was a classic from GBS who wasn't too keen on the way English is spoken. Of course, he was Irish, which may account for it...
      January 28, 2017 11:34 AM MST

• When you're older ... "Classic" is what you know best. :)
      January 28, 2017 1:31 PM MST