Active Now

Slartibartfast
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » You can join the fray/participate/be a target or you can stay on the sidelines/take potshots at those out there. Where are YOU? Why?

You can join the fray/participate/be a target or you can stay on the sidelines/take potshots at those out there. Where are YOU? Why?

Posted - January 30, 2017

Responses

• Never had much time for the looky-loos. I'd rather participate.
      January 30, 2017 4:32 PM MST

Me too unless I am way outclassed. For example if a bunch of Sumo Wrestlers are battling I'd watch. I'm 5' 6" and weigh 122 lbs. I think they could just sit on me and crush me.  But if size doesn't matter and agility/age isn't a factor I'll be right out there in the thick of things. I may look like a harmless old lady but beneath the hood a tiger lives! With sharp teeth and claws! Thank you for your reply Didge and Happy Tuesday! :)
      January 31, 2017 5:41 AM MST

• This is off the subject but some years ago one of the motor companies made a commercial for a small truck. They showed three Sumo wrestlers trying to sit side-by-side in a competitor's truck and not managing to squeeze in. Then the put them in their own truck and they sat in comfort, arms folded. 

They were working on the basis that all Japanese look alike to Westerners but I worked for Japanese companies for about 12 years and didn't even have to look hard to see they weren't the same three wrestlers.

January 31, 2017 12:28 PM MST

Body-wise all Sumo wrestlers look alike to me Didge. I never get around to looking at their faces. I don't know if there is a minimum weight but they look like they weigh 400 or 500 lbs.  That is seriously overweight but I guess they need it to do what they do. I think it's easy to look at people and not see them. I have noticed as I've gotten older that some folks look right through us old folks as if we aren't  there  Of course when someone does see me and notice me and remember me I'm thrilled and pleased as punch. When they smile at me and recognize me when they see me I hug them! I don't mind being invisible. It happens to everyone and I just got here before others younger than me. Thank you for reply Didge and Happy Wednesday to thee! :)
      February 1, 2017 4:41 AM MST

• Actually, you're talking about the super-heavyweight division. They're the guys who get all the publicity. But I worked with a sumo wrestler. In our terms he'd have been a bantamweight -- probably about 5' 6" but a superb athlete. His names was (I think) Yoshi but the Australian girls in the office called him Yummy. He never understood why. 

Here's a picture I used for a page in my chess blog. I called it "The bigger they are, the harder they fall." This kid would have had his hands full, though. 

February 1, 2017 3:24 PM MST

Staged photo right? All the big guy would have to do is step on the kid and bye bye! Thank you for your reply Didge. You have a chess blog? Are you a Grand Master?
      February 2, 2017 3:18 AM MST