Active Now

Element 99
Just Asking
Discussion » Questions » Arts » What's your favourite art form? Why?

What's your favourite art form? Why?

Posted - February 1, 2017

Responses

No favorite art form. I do carve soapstone, I have tried some jewelry for my wife, some scrimshaw, and painting. I prefer Chinese Ink Painting over acrylics or oil paints.  I have nothing but admiration for people who can make a large sculpture.
      February 1, 2017 5:19 PM MST

• So much in just a few lines, Maurice. I have the artistic talent of a brick but my wife has turned her hand to a lot of things that lie somewhere between craft and art. 

I had a friend who taught Chinese Brush Painting (similar thing, I guess). He was superb. He eked out a living at it but wasn't sufficiently well known to be really successful. I loved his work. 

As for the sculpture? How the heck does anybody possess enough imagination to do that. You'd almost have to see the block of material like a photographic negative, cutting away the bits that aren't needed. Yeah, I'm in awe of those guys. 
      February 1, 2017 5:25 PM MST

You just chip away the parts that are not needed and voila you have a sculpture.. There is something in every rock. :)
      February 1, 2017 5:29 PM MST

• I'd love to have that skill. 
      February 1, 2017 5:35 PM MST

• Chainsaw art! My Aunt had to cut down a couple of trees, had a friend of hers carve an eagle on one stump and Ohio States mascot Brutus on the other, very cool! Here's one I found that has special meaning! ;)

February 1, 2017 5:52 PM MST

• That's really cool. Is that Rooster?
      February 1, 2017 6:33 PM MST

• Of course not. It doesn't have an eye patch. Get with the program,Flo. :(
      February 1, 2017 7:46 PM MST

Beautiful
      February 1, 2017 6:57 PM MST

• I like art that is symmetrical, shiny and could be useless or purposeful. Here's my latest "work of art":

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 2, 2017 6:07 AM MST
      February 1, 2017 6:33 PM MST

Nice
      February 1, 2017 6:59 PM MST

• Thank you Baba.
      February 1, 2017 8:11 PM MST

• That's inspired, Flo. :) 
      February 1, 2017 7:47 PM MST

• It'll never be in a museum but it keeps me busy.
      February 1, 2017 8:13 PM MST

I have no preference, I am inept at all forms. I got a set of oil paints when I was 5 or so, but I had no idea what to do with them. My brother painted something and it never dried, so I never tried to use it.

I have often thought I might like to have a neon sign in the hall that says "POTTY" but I don't care to pay to have one made. I looked into "rasterbation" which is a method of printing an image on letter paper that forms a mural, but the project seems like more work than it's worth. And that is the extent of my artistic endeavors.
      February 2, 2017 2:18 AM MST

• I've always envied people who were skilled in one of the arts. It must be very rewarding. But I did look up rasterbation (I hadan't heard of it). Looks very, very difficult. It'd be amazing to be able to do something like that. 
      February 2, 2017 2:39 AM MST

• Music. Music is a wonderful part of my life.
      February 2, 2017 12:35 PM MST

• I will say music as well. Classical music is a wonderful art form and I couldn't imagine living without it. 
      February 2, 2017 12:38 PM MST

App programming. I think programming is the #1 art form. I like nothing better than to look at code all day and admire it. It really brings joy to all the world.
      February 2, 2017 12:43 PM MST

• Not exactly what I had in mind but I can see your point. One man's fish is another man's poisson.

In my novel I had an aboriginal builder. He was as adept at building houses as he was at creating traditional artwork and stated that both were forms of art. He'd probably have agreed with your answer though I can imagine him scratching his head and muttering something about computers.
      February 2, 2017 1:47 PM MST