Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Are you a fan of hyperbole? How many times can someone say "it's the best ever" OR "the worst ever" and you believe him?

Are you a fan of hyperbole? How many times can someone say "it's the best ever" OR "the worst ever" and you believe him?

How many BEST EVER or WORST EVER can you accept before you reject the hyperbolist? BEST implies ONE. So does WORST. Right?

Posted - February 3, 2017

Responses

No, Rosie, I am not a fan of hyperbole.  

Hyperbolic statements are not limited to saying something is the "best ever" or "worst ever", though saying either does imply one only.
      February 3, 2017 9:09 AM MST

So when The Donald indulges in it all the time as he did during his campaign you are not impressed. Thank you for your reply Bozette! :)
      February 4, 2017 3:24 AM MST

I am not a fan when anyone makes hyperbolic statements.
      February 8, 2017 12:25 AM MST

You don't? My favorite author is John Steinbeck. I sincerely think he is THE GREATEST writer ever! I dislike the color chartreuse. I think it is the UGLIEST color that exists. So shoot me! Thank you for your reply B. So we disagree? So what?
      February 8, 2017 3:56 AM MST

• Meh, sometimes.  It can be useful to get a point across but more often than not  it's best left for jovial banter.
      February 3, 2017 9:54 AM MST

Best or Worst should be limited to one of that type! You can't have multiple "Best movie that ever was" or "Greatest book ever written" or "worst  agreement ever made".  Once you get to a second one you've lost your credibility entirely. Thank you for your reply Glis! :)
      February 4, 2017 3:49 AM MST

If someone starts using hyperbole in any serious discussion, chances are, they are just trying to convince themselves they know more about the subject than they do!
    Often they are blissfully unaware of the absurdity of such exaggerated statements, which can be quite hilarious.
      February 3, 2017 12:07 PM MST

The Donald is a prime example. Thank you for your reply Grasshopper and Happy Saturday! :)
      February 4, 2017 3:49 AM MST