Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Do you laugh at yourself more than you laugh at anyone else? Why?

Do you laugh at yourself more than you laugh at anyone else? Why?

Posted - February 5, 2017

Responses

I don't usually laugh at others. I may laugh at their predicament or actions, but not them personally. And I will laugh at my own more than anyone else's. Why me more? Because I usually know better. lol
      February 5, 2017 10:30 AM MST

Thank you for your reply Gb and Happy Monday to thee. Laughing at others needn't be derisive or judgmental. It can merely be recognition of similarities between you and them. :)
      February 6, 2017 3:35 AM MST

• I was a very shy teen with absolutely no self-confidence. The thought of somebody laughing at me brought a cringe you could measure on the Richter scale. Then I met Mrs Didge and she taught me to laugh at myself. All of a sudden I realised that taking yourself too seriously is a sure way to torpedo your self confidence. So I laughed, and have kept it up for almost 60 years.

Do I laugh more at myself than others? Of course. I know my foibles so much more intimately than theirs.

February 5, 2017 8:09 PM MST

I was a painfully shy child. To add to that burden I skipped a few grades in school which put me in with older kids. Socially it was a nightmare. But I survived it. I am still shy and will withdraw when I feel uncomfortable. I don't like the spotlight. I stay on the sidelines by the wall with the nearest EXIT in sight. I pick up on vibes. I don't know how else to explain it. If I sense hostile I'm outta there. If I feel comfy I can stay forever! I have traveled alone most of my life. A "best friend" on occasion here and there but mostly just me. I am not comfy in crowds. I prefer small to large and cozy to lavish. I'm plain wrap, not fancy. I laugh at me all the time. Not because I'm hilarious but because I can be very oblivious to the obvious if my mind is elsewhere . When I laugh at others it's usually because I see parts of me there in them and it's something we can share. Thank you for your reply Didge and the graphic! That couple doesn't look very happy. I don't think it will last, do you?
      February 6, 2017 3:40 AM MST

• I'm lucky. I'm so deaf that nobody expects me to take part in social events any more. They just leave me to myself. I'm OK one on one but I'm hopeless in crowds when there's any background noise.
      February 6, 2017 3:52 AM MST

• It's more polite to laugh at oneself. This I have learnt.
      February 5, 2017 11:52 PM MST

I am ALWAYS laughing at myself Lucia. Not that I'm such a funny person but I often do oddball weird things. Jim is so sweet. He gives me this excuse. "You have so much going on in your mind"! See?  I sometimes just don't pay attention as I should.  I can focus on one thing to the exclusion of a zillion other things that are more important. I dunno if it's just how my mind is wired or that it's defective and needs repair. I can be totally oblivious to something for years and all of sudden notice it! Sometimes I see but it doesn't click and stick. Thank you for your reply! :)
      February 6, 2017 3:33 AM MST

• Oddball, weird things, I understand :) Thanks Rosie, I just laughed (at myself, of course)
      February 6, 2017 3:37 AM MST

((hugs)) Laughter is good medicine m'dear. Laugh on and stay healthy Lucia! :)
      February 6, 2017 3:42 AM MST

yes, I dont like to laugh at people
      February 8, 2017 3:48 PM MST