Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Shuhak
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » What's a really good, smooth beer?

What's a really good, smooth beer?

I only like Corona most beer is just gross to me.
Is there any kind that's better and easier to drink than Corona?
I'm looking to try because hard liquor is the devil.

Posted - February 8, 2017

Responses

• I only drink beer when I go to Canada, so I don't drink a lot of beer.
    The higher alcohol content makes it seem "smoother" than American regulated beer.
      February 8, 2017 11:41 AM MST

• It's funny that I live in Canada and people seem to like Canadian beer, but I can't stand it.
    Molson Canadian makes me feel like throwing up in my mouth and Kokanee is bad like Pilsner.
    Of course if you're drunk enough a person doesn't care anymore and will drink almost anything.
    I can handle certain ones like Molson Dry or Genuine Draft or cheap Club beer, but these days I only like Mexican beer or that candy drink Smirnoff Ice.
    What's Guiness taste like? Ever had that?
      February 8, 2017 11:52 AM MST

• Can't help you there! Never tried it. Like I said, I don't drink a lot of beer.
      February 8, 2017 12:22 PM MST

• Guiness and stouts are nothing like Ales, pilsners, or lagers.  They are very thick and have a malty but slightly bitter taste.  You can't really compare them to any of the more common beer styles.  They are very filling though,  it's kinda like drinking a loaf of bread in that respect.
      February 8, 2017 12:31 PM MST

• Loaf of bread, LoL!
    Then I would get fat with that.
    I still gotta work on on my beach body for summer, but I wanna drink.
    Oh well, what can I do, put a beach ball over the beer belly I'm gonna have? : (
    Maybe I should look into marijuana?
    Ah, I don't like smoking anything I'll just stick to Corona until I get a girlfriend.
    Thanks.
      February 8, 2017 12:45 PM MST

• If you like Corona try Rolling Rock.  It has a similar skunky taste but is cheaper and domestic.   Heineken and Becks are kinda like that too but richer.   They all have that dankness taste to them though.
      February 8, 2017 12:54 PM MST

• What do I know really though, I like Genny, High Life, and Tecate.  Blue ribbon is good too but I feel like the hipster DB at the bar ordering it.
    My taste likely isn't gonna be worth much to you since I can't stand Corona.  Taste like a skunks rear end to me
      February 8, 2017 11:47 AM MST

• LoL, well maybe I need to try those ones you mentioned.
    I didn't drink for 14 years while I was married, my ex and I stopped together turns out she didn't need alcohol to be unreliable and dishonest it just came natural for her so now I can drink occasionally again and I'm trying to do it right this time and drink quality stuff.
    Thanks. : ) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 8, 2017 12:17 PM MST
      February 8, 2017 12:02 PM MST

• If your looking for quality a lot of people like those microbrew Pale ales and IPAs but they taste terrible IMHO and give me quick headaches.
    They do get you toasted quick with the high alcohol and hops content.
      February 8, 2017 12:16 PM MST

• Thanks for the info, but I was drinking Crown Royal and coke FCC or a while and that stuff catches up to you, LoL!
    I think I'm gonna avoid being toasted anymore, I just like a nice consistent buzz that make's my ex wife disappear from my head and I feel good for a while.
    Yeah, high alcohol content is dangerous for me. I don't need hangovers. : (
      February 8, 2017 12:22 PM MST

• As professional drinker I find that beer has a nastier hangover than a reasonable amount of whiskey/Scotch. Same goes when mixing liquor with sweetened mixers like cola.  The carbs and sugars seem to make it worse.  Everyone is different though.
      February 8, 2017 12:28 PM MST

• The key phrase is reasonable amount of whiskey.
    I get unreasonable after a certain amount and I think I'm back in high school and I start being like I have super powers, LoL!
    Liquid courage, they call it.
    I just wanna be meow, but still have my sh_t together in case of an emergency or something.
    Whiskey turns me into s character and I gotta party on that sh_t, but I'm getting too old and getting in trouble isn't as cute when you're 37. : (
      February 8, 2017 12:53 PM MST

• I hear ya' about the age thing.
      February 8, 2017 1:00 PM MST

Nothing wrong with PBR. 
      February 8, 2017 2:59 PM MST

• If it seems like I edit stuff a lot it's just because my phone is an LG and doesn't always make my life good.
    Sorry.
      February 8, 2017 12:06 PM MST

Corona is the best, imo. I like it because it's a lot easier to drink than most beers. It's just nicer. Not as harsh. San Miguel is another good one. And Newcastle Brown Ale is also quite smooth, but that's not even a real beer, tbh.  
      February 8, 2017 12:06 PM MST

• Thanks Righty 1.
    I'll try those others, but I'm f_ckin loving Corona right now.
    You can have 6 of them and not get stupid drunk and you feel fine the next day.
    It makes me a little fat and bloated, but I feel like I'm on vacation whenever I have a nice, smooth Corona.
    Cheers, buddy. : )
      February 8, 2017 12:13 PM MST

• Newcastle is quite nice on occasion.
      February 8, 2017 12:17 PM MST

• Corona is susceptible to skunkiness because of the clear bottles allowing light (an enemy of beer) to interact with the hop oils. Hence the need for the lime (to hide the skunk). IOW, I hate Corona, I think it's more of a fad thing than actually a quality product. High Life, as Mr. Glis recommended, does not have this issue because they use a hop extract that removes the offensive chemical reaction. I like High life, but sometime it can have a slight straw-like taste due to the corn adjunct.

If you like Corona, I'm thinking you like a lighter beer that won't tip you over, so I'm thinking Coors Light. Best really, really cold. Also, not pasteurized, so pretty smooth. Not one of my favorites, but if I'm out for a while, I'll drink it just to keep an edge. Not sure about the price differential to Corona.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 8, 2017 3:07 PM MST
      February 8, 2017 12:44 PM MST

• I've had High Life that got light to it and was really skunky but your right.  Clear and green bottles don't preserve the beer from light which is but one reason cans are vastly superior.

From what I've gathered over and over is Corona not only bottles them in clear bottle but ages the brew outside in them and they are exposed to lots of sunlight before being shipped.
      February 8, 2017 12:52 PM MST

• Nice, I should hire you to be my personal beer consultant, LoL!

February 8, 2017 1:01 PM MST

• I drink a lot of beer, a lot of different beers, and have studied the brewing process. At one time I was actually looking into hop farming and took an introductory course as part of (potentially) joining a co-op that processed hops for local brewers. Decided after the class that it was way too much effort. So I drink a lot, and I'm lazy. Not sure what was first anymore.
      February 8, 2017 1:08 PM MST

• Yeah, you're probably better off to just thoroughly enjoy the beer.
    It reminds me of when I learned to play guitar, I wanted to play all of my favorite songs so I practiced and practiced until the songs didn't even sound like anything to me anymore.
    It kinda ruins music a little.
    Some things are best to just be enjoyed.
    Cheers, : )
      February 8, 2017 1:25 PM MST

WTF do I know about good beer? Every beer tastes good to me.
      February 8, 2017 1:31 PM MST