Active Now

Honey Dew
Spunky
Danilo_G
CosmicWunderkind
Malizz
Shuhak
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Sports » What are three things you know about the Olympic Games?

What are three things you know about the Olympic Games?

Posted - February 8, 2017

Responses

• The five ring flag was designed by Pierre de Coubertin

That flag is meant to represent the 5 continents participating in them even though there are 6.  Apparently the Olympic committee and Pierre were never informed that North and South America are two continents instead of one.

The gold medal is made of  gold plated silver.
      February 9, 2017 4:12 AM MST

• It might have been Australia he didn't consider to be a continent worthy of inclusion. We only had a few million people when the games were reintroduced, and even when I was at school in the 1940s we only just reach 7 million. We've tripled that now.

I didn't know about the flag or the rings. Thanks for answering. I thought this question was going to die a virgin. :(
      February 9, 2017 12:44 PM MST

• I noticed that.
    Nah you guy's were remembered.   One ring stands for Americas.

I take it the dingos stopped taking your babies?
      February 9, 2017 12:53 PM MST

• Yeah, haven't had any of those for a while now. As far as we know that is really what happened. It's all a bit inconclusive but will be one of those stories that gets repeated -- and embellished -- whenever somebody writes about Australian crime mysteries.
      February 9, 2017 1:23 PM MST

1. Lots of athletes
    2. Every four years
    3. Lousy TV coverage.
      February 9, 2017 7:21 AM MST

• Australia and the US are buddies for 206 weeks out of every 208 but during those other 2 weeks -- the duration of the Games -- we are enemies.

Why do you complain about the TV coverage? The rest of the world complains that US TV determines the coverage and the rest of us get the scraps. What's the problem?
      February 9, 2017 12:46 PM MST