Discussion » Questions » Language » Which three words, imported from a foreign language, do you find most interesting?

Which three words, imported from a foreign language, do you find most interesting?

Words like schadenfreude...

Posted - February 8, 2017

Responses

• Angst is good... Chutzpah is another great concept ... And from Danish, hygge
      February 8, 2017 5:23 PM MST

• Good choices but I don't know hygge. Looked it up. Great concept. 
    And if you're gonna bring in Yiddish, I like schmeckle. >:-)
      February 8, 2017 5:31 PM MST

• Ok.. my turn to Google! ... Lol ... Poor guys!
      February 8, 2017 5:38 PM MST

• Ti amo mia cara!

Ok, that's four!
      February 8, 2017 5:53 PM MST

• You get bonuses for four, Angela. 
      February 8, 2017 8:08 PM MST

• Beaucoup dien cai dau! Really not four words as I knew it but three. I guess it's a little different from old G.I. talk. Got called that a lot! LOL This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 8, 2017 8:09 PM MST
      February 8, 2017 5:57 PM MST

• Nuts?
      February 8, 2017 8:09 PM MST

• Close! 
      February 9, 2017 6:18 AM MST

amore
    AMORE
    AMORE
    Where is it coming from in the heart of things?
    Three different feelings
    three different meanings
    Said three different ways

...HA
    got AMORE on the BRAIN haha
      February 8, 2017 6:40 PM MST

• "When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's amore..." 
      February 8, 2017 8:10 PM MST

• "Technically not foreign, they just sound like it."

"Mayonnaise" ... "Aorta" ... "Initiate" ... "Widjadidja"

February 8, 2017 7:01 PM MST

• Very short, very clever. Thanks for those. 
      February 8, 2017 8:12 PM MST

Schmaltz (rendered chicken fat); verklempt (discombobulated) and schmutz (crap).
      February 8, 2017 7:12 PM MST

• I've definitely been a tad verklempt all day today. Good examples.
      February 8, 2017 8:13 PM MST

Here are a few- 
    From Hindi अवतार, from Sanskrit, descent of a deity from a heaven
    Cheetah
    from cītā, चीता, meaning "variegated".

Chutney
    from चटनी chatni, meaning "to crush"
    Dacoit
    from Daku, meaning a member of a class of criminals who engage in organized robbery and murder. Hence also dacoity(banditry)
    Guru
    from Hindi guru "teacher, priest," from Sanskrit गुरुः guruḥ "one to be honored, teacher," literally "heavy, weighty."[5]
      February 8, 2017 7:34 PM MST

• Thanks, Veena. They're great.
      February 8, 2017 8:15 PM MST

Thanks Didge;))
      February 8, 2017 10:18 PM MST

All of the Latin phrases used in association with American Jurisprudence. 
      February 8, 2017 9:35 PM MST

• And some of those have certainly found their way into everyday usage, like caveat emptor or mea culpa. 
      February 9, 2017 12:59 PM MST

I like zeitgeist, it has succeeded in "English" because we have no word that means the same.
    Another geist - "poltergeist" - "rattling ghost".
    I recently found out that "poppycock" actually comes from a Dutch word that means soft s**t, I wonder if the confectionery company that sells sweetened popcorn under that name realises.......

The perils of words crossing languages

I once worked for a company that produced a product called a Page Image Processor, which we shortened to "PIP".

I was running a training course in Sweden, and we had invited attendees from all of Scandinavia. After an hour or two of my lecture I was aware that various people in the "class" were sniggering amongst themselves.

I tried to make people laugh under such circumstances, but they were laughing in all the wrong places.

Eventually, I found out that pip is slang in one of the languages for "foolish", "weak-minded" etc.

In another of the languages, it was a euphemism for casual sexual intercourse.

I warned the marketing people on my return that there were problems with the name, their reaction - "Never use the abbreviation!"

Eventually, it was renamed the SoftPIP which was hardly any better.
      February 9, 2017 4:32 AM MST

• I wonder how history will remember the zeitgeist (an excellent example) pervading the US in 2017? I've never experienced such a change in feeling in so short a time. 

Your PIP experience was funny. Must happen a hell of a lot. I used to play with words when I was working for the Japanese. They were always in a hurry and while it may have been polite to say chotomate kudasai to get them to ease off I resorted to choto-bloody-mate which sent them away laughing, but it did send them away. Their morning ritual took a few sentences but, again, abbreviating it to, "I'm pretty genki, thanks mate," reduced it to a simple OK. On one occasion a guy was giving me instructions and I said, "Yoshi doshi." He looked blank and asked, "What does that mean?" So I replied, "What is yosh?" "Yosh is OK." "So yoshi doshi?" "Ah," and he nodded wisely. "That's okey dokey." The next thing I knew was that they were all using it. I think I changed the language.
      February 9, 2017 1:09 PM MST

Didge, this zany inquisition is literally right up my alley.  The English language is a conglomeration of words borrowed from older and foreign  languages and linked together like an architect does when he builds.
    The whodunnit, when, and why game of dissecting the words chosen, even in this description would involve many Oxford English Dictionary pages.  Big giggles.  Here are various clues.  You know I am a glutton for words and writing.  It is a form of communication I find enticing.  :) :) 

The power (and glamour) of words

Grammarians like to boast that the word glamour derives from the word grammar. The boast is true; the first sense of glamour, which we adapted in the 18th century, was that of a spell which, spoken properly, would cast a magical effect. (Glamour in the David Bowie sense came later.) The word spell in the magical sense similarly comes from the same word in the sense of statement or story, which goes back in various forms to Proto-Germanic. So potent is the dream that words hold magic that some of our very words for magic come from our words for words.

In ordinary life, we occasionally speak words that change reality. In a work that literary scholars still frequently cite, How to Do Things with Words (1955/62), the philosopher of language J.L. Austin discussed what he called performative utterances, that is, statements that do not merely describe conditions, but create them:

‘I now pronounce you husband and wife.’
    ‘You’re fired.’
    ‘I name this ship the Enterprise.’
    ‘A bet? You’re on!’
    ‘McGruff, you’re a damn fine detective, but you’re a loose cannon. Put your gun and badge on the table; you’re off the case.’

To speak a sentence like this, under the proper circumstances, constitutes the very action that it invokes. The decisive words are neither true nor false while they are being said, but they become true the instant the sentence falls together.

A planet on the table

But of course, we don’t want merely to make a couple man and wife. We want to make man and wife—and dragons and islands and storms at sea and suns and skies and kings, if our literary record testifies right. Writers often praise language in grandiose terms for its power to create, or to make us feel as though we create, ex nihilo. Stephen King describes writing as telepathy, the conjuring of mental imagery across time and distance: ‘All the arts depend upon telepathy to some degree, but I believe that writing offers the purest distillation.’ George R.R. Martin has praised the novelist’s ability to build worlds on a scale beyond even the screen magic of special effects: ‘Whenever I turned in a script it was a common scene where they would say, ‘George, this is great but it’s too big and expensive; you need to cut it down. You currently have 126 characters—we have a budget for six.’ When I went back to prose, there were suddenly no limits: I could write something huge with all the characters I wanted, with battles, dragons, and immense settings.’ And the poet Wallace Stevens bid adieu to his career with a poem that envisioned his collected works as a world of his making—a ‘planet on the table’.

Romantic poets and letting x happen

The Romantic poets seem to have been especially captivated by this idea. Romantic poetry abounds with passages that say, essentially, ‘let x happen’. For example, Wordsworth often uses this imperative to present natural phenomena: ‘let the aged tree uprooted lie’; ‘let the Moon hear, emerging from a cloud’; ‘let the Moon/ Shine upon thee in thy solitary walk;/ And let the misty mountain-winds be free/ to blow against thee’; ‘let the redbreast hop from stone to stone’;

And long as he can wander, let him breathe
    The freshness of the valleys; let his blood
    Struggle with frosty air and winter snows;
    And let the chartered wind that sweeps the heath
    Beat his grey locks against his withered face.

As the Wordsworth scholar Paul Fry has noted, this poetic gesture is also an arrogation of creative power, or rather an insistence on the creative power of words: an imitation of the famous creating words Fiat lux, ‘Let there be light’. Still, the best spin on the motif may be a mordant passage from Byron’s Don Juan—one that suggests that we’re lucky to have limits to our ability to conjure with words, and that reminds us that Byron was, as the kids say, savage:

‘Let there be light! said God, and there was light!’
    ‘Let there be blood!’ says man, and there’s a sea!

In conclusion, I hope I answered your question with the colorful words chosen in my opening paragraph :)

This post was edited by Merlin at February 9, 2017 1:12 PM MST
      February 9, 2017 8:59 AM MST

• What an interesting, fascinating post. Thanks for taking so much trouble. 

I first ran across "glamour" in that context in a footnote to an old edition of Scott's "The Lay of the Last Minstrel" (which anybody calling themselves Merlin would be bound to enjoy). It was the branch of magic used to make something appear to be something else, that it is not. A pretty good description of the glamour industry. (If memory serves, and it's been some decades, he spelt it without the 'u' which is unusual in British English.)
      February 9, 2017 1:14 PM MST