Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Purposeless life. Does such a thing exist? If so, of what would it consist and why?

Purposeless life. Does such a thing exist? If so, of what would it consist and why?

Posted - February 9, 2017

Responses

• The only purpose anyone ever has is what we choose to proscribe to ourselves.   We are all meaningless and just don't matter in the big picture. There's no grand reason we are here.  It's just circumstance and chance.
    What real purpose does life serve?  None really . Purpose itself doesn't really exist except in our own heads. If there is anything we have that could be seen as one it is to procreate. Since I don't have children and don't plan on it I am comfortable with having no purpose.
      February 9, 2017 4:44 AM MST

Not me Glis. I think our purpose (humans collectively ) is to be kind, useful, helpful to one another. Beyond that what the ultimate purpose is? Maybe it is something so simple as proving we can all get along. So far we have blown that. Perhaps there is no hope of that. However, where there is life there is hope and  giving up will never get you anywhere. Hope just might. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday! :)
      February 9, 2017 4:55 AM MST

• Well that's the purpose you proscribe to it and that's cool beans. ;)
      February 9, 2017 4:59 AM MST

• In Randy's absence, may I suggest "ascribe". :)
      February 9, 2017 4:57 PM MST

• I'm with Glis on this. There can be no meaning other than that which we choose for ourselves. Gives us lots of options and, depending on those choices, can lead to a very fulfilling life.
      February 9, 2017 4:59 PM MST

Purposeless life you say? Welcome to my world and it consists of a life where you watch other people have purpose. You watch them grow, live and die knowing that they contributed something to the world.
      February 9, 2017 5:03 PM MST