Active Now

Element 99
DannyPetti
Shuhak
Randy D
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Do you make a concerted effort not to have eye contact or smile at others on the street? Why?

Do you make a concerted effort not to have eye contact or smile at others on the street? Why?

Posted - February 9, 2017

Responses

I usually say hello.
      February 9, 2017 11:25 AM MST

Nope.  
      February 9, 2017 11:59 AM MST

• There's nothing concerted about it. I live in an area where we do that quite naturally. It's more normal for strangers to greet each other, or even exchange a few words, than to ignore each other.

As Bozette pointed out, I missed your "not". Sorry. So my answer is a resounding, "No!"

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 9, 2017 2:15 PM MST
      February 9, 2017 2:02 PM MST

Perhaps you missed the "not" in the question?
      February 9, 2017 2:11 PM MST

• Thanks, Bozette. Yes I did. I shall go back and change that immediately. b
      February 9, 2017 2:13 PM MST

Welcome.  :)

I live in Flint, Michigan, a city that has more than once earned the labels of "Murder Capital" and "Most Dangerous City".  A place one might expect people to avoid eye contact and ignore strangers.  While I do see that to some degree, I do not find it to be my usual experience.  Perhaps because we receive back what we project?  Or perhaps because strangers we meet while out and about are very seldom "the boogieman" that some seem to fear?  I think it is both.  I find it common for strangers to smile, nod, wave, talk to me or lend a hand and have even had a couple hug me.  
      February 9, 2017 3:32 PM MST

• Now that you've brought it up...

About three years ago I was walking past our local shops when a very well-dressed, reasonably attractive, older lady approached me. Her eyes held mine as she approached and she leaned toward me. And just as I thought she was about to kiss me she put her lips near my ear and said, "Your fly is undone." 

It fair broke me up. :)
      February 9, 2017 3:59 PM MST

HA HA HA!!!
      February 9, 2017 4:06 PM MST

• I make eye contact more often than not and if they do seem receptive we both speak.
      February 9, 2017 2:23 PM MST

I'm in my own reality sometimes and do not wish to look anyone in the eyes or smile unless absolutely necessary. This post was edited by Zack at February 9, 2017 4:00 PM MST
      February 9, 2017 3:33 PM MST

Nah, I smile a lot... also to strangers. A smile can make a difference and costs so little to do. :-)
      February 9, 2017 4:01 PM MST

Yes. Social awkwardness. 
      February 9, 2017 8:08 PM MST