Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » Have you taught tricks to your pet?

Have you taught tricks to your pet?

What sort of tricks? What sort of pet? Does s/he enjoy doing them?

Posted - February 9, 2017

Responses

He talks to plenty of people but not to me.  Spends time with them as well. 
      February 9, 2017 6:00 PM MST

• You might have to show him the list of rules and underline his place in them. And yours. And, of course, yours will always be higher up the pecking order. :D 
      February 9, 2017 6:12 PM MST

• Yes! I've taught every dog I had tricks! Sit, shake, sit pretty (sitting up on hind legs) lay down roll over! I think they enjoyed it cos I always gave them a treat for it! My husky and Doberman were the best ones to work with!
      February 9, 2017 6:01 PM MST

• We never taught our dog any tricks but we did train her. She's only little and some years ago, around dawn on a winter's morning, I took her for a walk. I took my glove off to get something from my pocket, and didn't realise that her lead slipped off my hand. I'd gone on about 100 metres before I realised I no longer had a dog. I ran back for her and found her sitting on the kerb waiting for me. She knew she wasn't allowed to cross the street by herself.
      February 9, 2017 6:14 PM MST

• Aww how sweet!
      February 9, 2017 6:15 PM MST

• Hmm... My cats have taught me how to open the fridge door on command... Does that count?
      February 9, 2017 6:09 PM MST

• Of course. Cats are renowned for their command of commands. 
      February 9, 2017 6:15 PM MST

No. my dog has a cat-like personality.. We are her "staff" rather than owners. This post was edited by Skunky Stinkerson at February 9, 2017 11:10 PM MST
      February 9, 2017 8:49 PM MST

• Smart dog. :D
      February 9, 2017 9:48 PM MST

Here is a short video of some of my girl's tricks.
    This post was edited by Gatorblu at February 9, 2017 11:46 PM MST
      February 9, 2017 9:51 PM MST

• Showing is so much better than telling. And it was nice to hear your voice at last. 
    How on earth did you get her to do that catch off the nose? 
      February 9, 2017 11:47 PM MST

My niece's boyfriend actually taught her. I don't know how he started, but we just kept reinforcing it. She can sit up on her hind legs as well. she used to be able to roll over but her arthritis has prevented that for just over a year.
      February 10, 2017 6:27 PM MST

• My little dog has similar problems. We have to lift her up to places she would have reached without difficulty just a few years ago. At 17 I guess she's entitled to gentle handling.
      February 10, 2017 6:30 PM MST

Arabella gets lifted up as well. I bought her some stairs to help he climb in bed with me but she refuses to use them.  (Yes, she is a spoiled brat, and I wouldn't have it any other way.)
      February 10, 2017 6:45 PM MST